Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Cancelling an extension on my lease

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cancelling an extension on my lease

    Hi Guys,

    I wonder if anyone can help?

    Basically my friend and I moved into an apartment in Manchester in October 2011 and our lease is due to expire on June 20th 2012.
    In January I called into the estate agents office and inquired if I could extend the lease until August 10th 2012. The letting agent said 'Yeah just put it in writing' so as I went to leave he said 'You can just write it down now'.
    So I wrote down on a piece of paper basically stating I wanted to remain in the property until August 10th 2012, I then signed and dated it.

    Sadly yesterday I was informed that my job is relocating in May and it is not to a location where I can commute. I now want to cancel the extension on my lease and wonder if this is possible as I will not be able to afford living there after June.

    I am phoning the estate agents on my lunch and the man who works there is generally really rude and I know they are encountering difficulty in re-letting the property as they have tried to attract students this time round for September (we're not students) and no-one has shown any interest. (The property had also been laid empty for 2 years before my friend and I took residence)
    My flatmate has said surely they cannot extend the lease anyway without her permission anyway due to it being a join tenancy (even though we do have two separate standing orders for rent)

    SORRY if I've rambled but please advise in anyway if you can ?

  • #2
    Re: Cancelling an extension on my lease

    There are at least two professionals whose services you're likely to need when extending a lease.
    Firstly, a valuer, usually a surveyor

    A surveyor will be able to provide you with best and worst case estimates on the value of an extension, advise you on the amount of money you should offer the freeholder, and help you to negotiate an agreement.
    If you can't agree a figure, the valuer will represent you at a Leasehold Valuation Tribunal.
    Secondly, you will need a legal representative - either a solicitor or a licensed conveyancer.

    The solicitor or conveyancer will prepare the information you need for the application, serve the notice on the landlord, answer requests for information, and conveyance the new lease.
    There are also various specialist companies who will do the whole lot for you.