Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy to let?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy to let?

Me: I am 20 years old and currently studying at my local university. I help out with the family business but I don't have a job.

I am looking into 'buy to let' and I have a 15k deposit. I will be looking at properties max 100k.

Is it possible for me to do this without a job? What's involved?

I might of missed some information and questions out but your help would be much appreciated

Re: Buy to let?

You really need to find a local mortgage broker to talk this through with, but it is likely to be difficult to find a lender for several reasons.....

1. Many Buy to Let lenders these days require the applicant to have earned income so that they can support the mortgage repayments in times of a lack of tenant.

2. Most lenders do not like lending on a Buy to Let mortgage for a first time buyer as there have been fraudulent applications in the past where those who couldn't get a traditional residential mortgage have been getting Buy to Let mortgages and then living in the property themselves.

3. You will need a minimum deposit of 20% for Buy to Let mortgages at the moment, but ideally a 25% deposit is preferable.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Also, many lenders only offer BTL mortgages to people over the age of 25.

It is worth discussing your situation with a broker, but from your post you have everything against you I'm afraid.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I think the next step for my is to have a word with a mortgage advisor and until i have a full time job etc ill just keep saving.

Anyone got any good ideas what i can do with the money in the mean time?

Comment

In the meantime:

Do you have an ISA? If not get one. There's great rates on fixed term ISA's at the moment. I just opened a 3 year fixed. The interest rate climbs over the 3 years. Or you can have one where you don't fix the term and there's no penalty to take your money out. Tax free interest!

Premium Bonds:
          I've got a block of premium bonds and I've won at least 5 times. Which has amounted to a few hundred quid over the last 4 years! They're SAFE! you don't lose anything and you can take your money back out when you want to. The bigger a block you buy the more likely you are to win.

Comment

I have to agree with Beyond your first step has to be an ISA. If you don't you are needlessly paying tax on some of your savings.

Comment

Working...
            X