Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liable for heating if leaving early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liable for heating if leaving early?

Hi can anyone help we have a 6 month tenancy agreement which ends in approx 6 weeks. We are leaving now as the damp in this house is quite bad and moving into a property we have bought. Whilst i appreicate we are liable for the full rent it has been suggested I may be liable for the heating costs over the next 6 weeks also. The let is arranged via estate agents and i cannot see anywhere in the tenancy agreement that i am liable for anything other than rent. It just states if i leave early i must return the keys by midnight of the same day - can anyone help? many thanks

Re: Liable for heating if leaving early?

If your lease as for 6 months, then that's how long you've agreed for, and I don't see anyway out of it - I got caught in the same trap when buying a property, and ended up paying the last month's rent even though I'd already moved out - but I was prepared for that.

The heating issue really depends upon the terms - if you're only responsible for the heating you use, then just ensure the gas/electric bills are finalised and paid for.

Comment

Re: Liable for heating if leaving early?

I joined up today to ask this exact same question. We have moved out of a rented property but have about 3 weeks left on the contract. We have informed the letting agent and landlord that it is vacant and have autorised them to show new people round and go in to do any work etc. We actually met the landlord in the property when we went to clean so we know he is aware of the situation.

However we have now been asked to turn back on the boiler and heat the place for 4 hours a day in order to prevent any pipes freezing etc.

Is this really our responsibilty now? There is nothing in the contact that says it must be heated by us. We had to pay the last months rent for when we were not there anyhow.

Comment

Working...
      X