Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renting Directly From Advert In Paper/Freeads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting Directly From Advert In Paper/Freeads

Hi all

We are currently in rented property but looking to move soon. I have been doing some research in the local papers and free ads websites. There seems to be a number of landlords renting privately through these and the rents look a little under market rate then if going through an agent.

Does anybody have any advice or experience of renting privately. I am just a little concerned as any problems we have just leant on the agent so far.

Thanks
    Budget can stretch to a tent

Home lighting

Re: Renting Directly From Advert In Paper/Freeads

I've friends who have had a very good experience dealing directly with private landlords before, so don't let it stop you just because its your first time. You could get to save substantial amounts on fees. But always go with your gut instinct though, if he seems unreliable or shady, don't part with your money. Get some advice on the proper paperwork that needs to be done to show the person you are paying is actually entitled to rent as an owner.

Comment

As Cmy82 says, there are good and bad everywhere. Why not knock on the neighbours' doors? They wouldn't be able to tell you whether your prospective landlord is a good one but they could certainly tell you if the tenants are responsible people and good neighbours. If they are, that would be an indication of the overall set-up. You could also try asking the current tenants why they are leaving. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have friends who found their home with a private landlord through a newspaper advert, and they have had no problems at all. I can understand you being weary though, its always a little scary without having the "backup" of an agent.

Just make sure all the contracts are legit and in place & as Jeannie mentioned above, asking the neighbours could be a really good starting place too.

Good Luck!

Comment

Hi, we are currently renting from private landlord, I have always found it a better experience renting privately, agents nowadays charge so much in so-called fees, and such like. You can get to know your landlord (if he's a good one) and broach the subject of maintenance and decoration etc.

Comment

Working...
          X