Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

I have a nice couple with a baby who have been good tenants for the last year paid rent always on time when Council wasnt messing about with the rent.

I had a 1 year assured tenancy with them which was a direct let through the Council which ends on the 9/06. The tenants asked me to write a letter to the Council saying that I would not continue to rent to them as the tenancy was up. They wanted me to do this because the place was too small for them due to them having a baby and the council told them to do it. I did that for them as I said they were good tenants and nice.

Anyway the Council has now turned round to them and told them when the tenancy is up to refuse to hand over the keys and not move and they will not rehome them until they are being taken to Court and the balliffs are knocking on the door!?

I cant believe it!? Surely that cant be right!?

The tenants are suggesting they just pack their bags and give the keys back to me and turn up at the Council forcing them to rehome them...

Any thoughts please guys?

Re: Help please

Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common with councils milking the system to allow tenants to stay in private rented accommodation without paying their rent.

And then they moan about the lack of private rented property available to LHA tenants it beggars belief.

Things can only get worse in the sector with government cutbacks and unemployment rising.

You are very lucky that you have some honest tenants
    Adam Long

www.quickhomeseller.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Long View Post
      Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common with councils milking the system to allow tenants to stay in private rented accommodation without paying their rent.

And then they moan about the lack of private rented property available to LHA tenants it beggars belief.

Things can only get worse in the sector with government cutbacks and unemployment rising.

You are very lucky that you have some honest tenants
      Thanks Adam I have actually found some guidance on this issue and that is:

"Time and time again this happens. It is a case of the council not knowing their own rules.
      Speak to the council and refer them to 'Homelessness Code of Guidance for Local Authorities' Chapter 8, Para 30 Onwards ( I have a copy in .PDF format if you would like it emailed over )

"Homeless legislation states that local authorities have a duty to house certain categories of people. Local authorities are provided with guidance about coming to a decision of eligibility for re-housing homeless people. In particular, they should have regard to section 9.29 of the Code of Guidance on Parts VI and VII of the Housing Act 1996, which states: "A local authority should not require tenants to fight a possession action where the landlord has a certain prospect of success, such as an action for recovery of property which is let on an assured shorthold tenancy where the fixed term of the tenancy has ended." If, as it appears to be in this case, the local authority disregards this guidance, the landlord can refer the matter to the Local Government Ombudsman, claiming the landlord's costs of having to pursue a possession action"

Comment

Great bit of info...

Well done
        G

Comment

Sammye, Wow, but has the new knowledge had any effect with the councils attitude?

Comment

I am honestly shocked at how low local councils will go, it disgusting!, if it were me the first thing i would do is name and shame them, contact the local daily newspapers and tell them your story, contact the news desk at your local radio station, i would not let then get away with this, After all if they had kept hold of there housing stocks instead of selling them off there would not be such a shortage in social housing, and if they didn't squander our hard earned tax money ( Iceland Scandal) they could afford to re-invest in more quality houseing for those that actually need it, I would let the whole world know just what a bunch of devious liars they realy are, I feel sick!!
            www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

I cant believe councils would behave like this! One for the papers.
              BRAND NEW HOMES
              Information for UK new home buyers
              New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

I agree with new homes export... I would write a PR Article for your local newspaper to publish.

Comment

Working...
                X