Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i hate estates agents!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i hate estates agents!!!!

Hi, I live in London and my story is about renting a property, with help from an estate agent. I thought that paying someone to do this, will be easier and everything will go nice and smooth. I was very wrong!!
    I started looking for a property at the begging of February, I was supposed to move on 24 of march, after viewing just 3 properties we found this nice big house, it was everything that we wanted. We decided to give the deposit and to go through all the formalities so that the property will be ours for the next year. All nice and good. The estate agent,( employee, I think, of MADDISON estate agents in Hounslow)told us straight from the beginning that if I change my mind I will lose the agent fee(£200), but if the landlord does it I will receive the full amount back. We were supposed to rent the property from 15 of March. On 1 of March the estate agent e-mailed me that the landlord decided to sell the property. We couldn't move anymore, we were very disappointed, but we had to do something very quick. I gave him my bank details so that he can transfer my money back and I can move forward. It took me 5 min to make the transfer when I gave him the deposit, it took him 2 weeks and I still can't use the money. I was calling him daily (he switched off his phone at some point), e-mails and everything so I can have my money back. I was very confident that if this is his job and he is paid good money for it, he will give his best to have happy clients. He was unprofessional, in my opinion, in the way that he treated me and the whole situation. He didn’t give me enough time to find something else; he didn’t give me my money back so I can pay for the other property. I don’t even know where I stand now! I have extended my tenancy and I hope I will find something nice soon.
    Today 22 March, I have the money but I think he mess up my account, with uncovered cecs(7 in 6 out, and £800 paid cash)
    I hate estates agents, I am afraid to work with them again.

Last edited by anna; 22-03-2011, 11:19 PM.

Re: i hate estates agents!!!!

You cant live with them and you cant live without them. Even if there was an easy way people could sell their own houses, it would rely on advertising. Rightmove and sites like this cost approx £500 per month each, so it is very expensive

Comment

The trouble with Estate Agents is they are commission based. When they are making commission out of you, they will be responsive to all your needs.

But if you're trying to get money back from them, then it's totally a different story.
      My sister had a similar problem where the Estate Agent refused to return her deposit when she finished her tenancy, claiming that she had damaged the property.

She had to take pictures of how spotless the property was left in, and took the Estate Agent to a small claims court before they gave her the deposit back.
      Trouble, it is very easy for the Agents to say "We're going to keep your deposit", and a lot of trouble and stress to take them to court. So most people will just leave it.

Estate Agents can be extremely unpleasant if you're trying to get money out of them. But never let them get away with it.
      Last edited by glen_jai; 28-03-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Real estate agents are still there even if you don't want them, you still need them.

Comment

Why dont you just spend £60 and take them to a small claims court, because based on what you have said, they will definitely lose and you will win your money back.

Comment

totally agree, estate agents take the proverbial michael! Always keeping deposits on the thinnest grounds and never around when you need them. i think renting privately is the way to go

Comment

London renting is always a good option over London buying, simply because as a Londoner you're more likely to move out of London when you get fed up of the noise!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Owen View Post
                London renting is always a good option over London buying, simply because as a Londoner you're more likely to move out of London when you get fed up of the noise!
                and the smell and the prices and the congestion charge and the ... and the ...

G

Comment

I have had an awful experience with a certain estate agents whilst renting a property in Manchester they were very unprofessional and lied and try to put the blame on me when things went wrong especially concerning the car parking space where my car got towed away on two occassions... unbelieveable.. however using the same brand of estate agent in Sheffield they couldnt of been more helpful and friendly...
                  We have debt solutions to help you get out of debt problems

Comment

What an emotive thread title!
                    Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Dan, what is FTBG about then?

Comment

most issues you have with an estate agent you would probably find without them.

Comment

In many cases people can find rental property without agents.

Comment

I actually got on really quite well with my estate agent Very helpful

Comment

Estate Agents are a mixed breed. Some of the smaller ones are run by genuinely nice folks. Unfortunately, the commission based structure means they work more on the landlords favour

Comment

Working...
                              X