Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSS Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSS Advice

Hi there,
    My partner and I are looking to move to Milton Keynes as soon as possible. We have no money and as I have just finished my qualification and he has recently been made redundant, we've found that we will have to rely on DSS for at least the first few months, until we find employment (my partner has been actively seeking a job since February now) and will have to make use of Milton Keynes council's bond scheme.
    I have been living in student accommodation while acquiring my qualification and the tenancy is up in the next couple of weeks. He has been staying with a friend throughout his redundancy, but has been asked to leave - meaning that in the next few weeks are both going to be homeless.
    Unfortunately, we can't seem to find any landlords that will accept DSS. A few have said that they will, but only if we pay them over £1,000 up front for deposit, agency fees, which is out of the question - surely if someone can't afford rent, they can't afford to pay that kind of money.
    We've been looking for months now and time is running out. We've visited citizens advice, the council, shelter... The best they can do at the moment is offer a hostel. This means we won't be together and also means my partner won't be able to have his young daughter over to visit. The only help they can offer will affect his visitation rights.
    We are really struggling to find somewhere and time is running out.
    If anyone has any information on the rights of homeless people, any where that will accept DSS and council bond scheme, or anyone knows anyone that will rent a one bedroom flat to a responsible and reliable couple, that would be great.
    Thanks very much.

Re: DSS Advice

Sorry to hear about your situation - I can't offer any specific advice on the matter, but I sincerely hope you get matters sorted out.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your situation I dont have much advice to offer but I too am in a similar situation following a redundancy and a relationship breakdown . Ive registered with 2 local councils and been told that unless I am homeless I dont stand much chance of a council property in which case i would be put into a hostal until a property became available (probably in an undesirable area) I dont have the cash for deposit + 1 month upfront + any agent fees and having trouble finding landlords that will accept a deposit bond scheme. I too am a responsible person in a sticky situation and nobody seems to want to help. The only advice I can offer is to try registering with housing associations in your area if you haven't already . I Have 2 young boys that would be staying with me at least you still have each other for support. I hope something comes up for you.
      Last edited by matjones; 23-08-2010, 10:52 AM. Reason: added extra comments

Comment

What a crappy situation for you You could try calling Shelter on 0808 800 4444 and they should be able to offer advice. Also, try your local estate agents and ask them if they have any landlords that will accept DSS and deposit bonds.

It's a lot easier to get a room if you're on benefits - this may not be ideal considering your boyfriends situation, but it may be better than a hostel. Best wishes

Comment

try looking at the website gumtree.com for properties to let on benefits

Comment

i hope you all get the ending you want, i dont have any specific info but good luck.

Comment

Contact the charity called the cyrenians. They may be able to help.

As the last poster said use gumtree. Take the risk out of doing business with you as a tenant. I did another post today on DSS tenancies that may help. Maybe consider advertising on gumtree (landlords look there too) and sell your selves given the factors mentioned in my other post. Sorry don't know how to link to it.

Maybe rent a room in another persons house, there are often 'room to rent ads' in the local free papers. It may reduce the cost and make you more eligible.

All the very best.

Robin

Comment

I must start by saying that I'm not familar with Milton Keynes council. I know that Islington council has a list of estate/letting agents that deal with dss tenants. While, paying a deposit and agents fees is normal, for eveyone. I understand that it is possible to get a loan from job seekers or the social, for needs such as this.

However, a credit check will be performed, and evidence of payment by the dss is required. Otherwise, I point you back to the previous posts, gumtree and the site SpareRoom.co.uk

Comment

The housing situation in this country is an obscenity. On the one hand we have people in desperate need of housing paying exhorbitant rents for insecure accommodation, and on the other hand private landlords making lots of money for doing very little or nothing at all.

It is simply not acceptable that people should have grovel to private landlords for somewhere to live, and then be in fear of eviction at the whim of the landlord. The Housing Act 1988, brought in by Margaret Thatcher's fascist government, is bad law that never should have been enacted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotpend View Post
                    and then be in fear of eviction at the whim of the landlord.
                    You've obviously never had to evict anyone. Its hardly on a whim. It takes months and all the time the landlord loses out whilst having to pay the 'system' for the pleasure. Money that he will probably never be able to recover.

It needs to be fairer for both sides. Glad Im out of it now

G

Comment

Working...
                    X