Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letting Agent Charging VAT on holding deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting Agent Charging VAT on holding deposit

I have agreed to rent a flat, but unsure whether the agent are within their right to charge VAT for the holding deposit. This is what they have said via email:

"For us to begin processing the tenancy and take the property off the
    market, we will need to take two week's rent (£700) plus an
    administration fee of £95 + vat (£223.26) as holding deposit. Total
    amount due is £923.26. The amount of £700 is not a fee and will go towards the 1st months rent.
    The holding deposit can be paid at our office or by debit/credit card
    over the phone."

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

Re: Letting Agent Charging VAT on holding deposit

So far as I understand it, you shouldn't be charged an admin fee, as the letting agent gains their fees from the landlord.

Comment

I agree with Brian. Admin fees are usually charged to the landlord. At least that's what happens with me, I have three buy-to-let properties and I pay the agent's commission and any extra costs. I wouldn't be happy if I found they were double billing.

You could make a few enquires at other agencies. Tell them your'e interested in renting a property from them and ask what the up-front charges are. At least then you'll know is such admin charges are typical or not.

Comment

i thought the issue was about VAT? and the agent charging?

Comment

Working...
        X