Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Living off equity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living off equity

Hi.

I have read a couple of books on building a property portfolio and roughly every 10 years the property price will double, therefore given you a profit.

They also advise to not sell any of the property, but to just release equity to use as a salary.

Can someone explain or point me where I can find out exactly how this works.

Many thanks.

Hi Deuce,

The basic premise of this is that the rent you get in pays the mortgage. You are then relying on the markets to go up over time, increasing the equity in the property.

You then remortgage the property for a higher amount every few years, increasing the rent to cover the increased mortgage repayments and taking the extra money from the increased mortgage as a salary.

Great whilst the markets are going up but a huge issue if the markets crash (like just happened) basically then you have lots of houses with big mortgages, which may well drop into negative equity - bingo you are bankrupt if rents drop / don't get paid and you can't service the repayments.

Comment

Working...
    X