Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra's to consider when renting.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrewwhitmey1
    replied
    Re: Extra's to consider when renting.

Thanks for sharing renting new ideas KingJames.

Leave a comment:

• Neli P
    replied

I’d also add avoid renting close to schools/kindergartens, if you don’t have kids. Parking issues, noise, busy sidewalks, and school traffic congestion can be a real problem.

Leave a comment:

• AbbyWhite
    replied

Really appreciated the advice. Thanks a lot. I am currently looking for a place, so would consider asking here if there is something I do not get.

Leave a comment:

• Gillian
    replied

I can’t thank you with words for bringing up such post. Really I was about to rent an apartment nearby. But after reading this, I think I should reconsider the whole prospect. Anyways, thanks for sharing

Leave a comment:

• alexcyrus
    replied

and if you`re renting on the basement, you can here steps from the owner. Need to also consider what are the foods you`re going to cook.

Leave a comment:

• ThameswayTransport
    replied

Such a great post, thanks for that, KingJamesUk. You've given me plenty to think about that I hadn't even considered!

Leave a comment:

• tony jones
    replied

I would reiterate parking as always seems to cause a problem here as most houses never have enough.

Leave a comment:

• Dan S
    replied

This is a fantastic thread. First Time Buyers need to think long and hard about all this when budgeting for saving for a mortgage deposit.

Leave a comment:

• jodieB
    replied

I definately agree with the tenancy deposit scheme and also making sure that you do your own inventory before and after to make sure that they cant charge you for anything that isnt your fault either pen and paper descriptions of every furnishing, scratches, bumps, rips and tears or video everything so you have proof if they ever try to dispute anything.

Leave a comment:

• reserve1960
    replied

Hi Guys, Good Long read, skim read was their any mention of ensuring any/all defects were noted correctly on the inventory when you move, were photo's taken, were meter readings taken and signed against by both parties.

Leave a comment:

• pondy1955
    replied

Hello, I hope I haven't missed this in your comprehensive information but here goes anyway!

A friend is just about to move into an unfurnished flat which has an old washing machine, 'fridge and electric cooker supplied. She has read a draft of the tenancy agreement which states the tenant is responsible for the repair or replacement of any of these appliances should the need arise. Surely, if they form part of the fixtures and fittings this should be the responsibility of the Landlord?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Leave a comment:

• MW234
    replied

There are times when nosy neighbours are a bonus - like when someone drives into your car in the parking lot!

Leave a comment:

• kguna74
    replied

Many thanks for the tips KingJamesUK. I used to live in a 1 bed flat in Maplin Park, Langley, Slough for 575 pcm. After hearing your tips, then I guess that we were really lucky as that was probably one of the best ones to live and rent. Minimal noise, mostly working people, nicely landscaped and loads of parking, it was a very good place. I can't imagine how, as a shift worker, returning from work after a night shift and not able to sleep due to constant noise.

Leave a comment:

• canton
    replied

Fantastic List! could not have done it better myself!

Leave a comment:

• mgrds
    replied

Really really important in today's climate. Try to determine if you Landlord is solvent!

Though there are some greedy money grabbing Landlords - actually a lot of them have found property values falling, rents decreasing, and admin costs rising (eg it costs around £800 just for paperwork to get a licence for house in multiple occupation - before you even pay for inspections). Many good landlords who don't cut corners have found the books are not balancing and some have faced insolvency and repossession. I the present climate mortgage lenders a quick to come down on any risky client. And of course that may mean you lose you home. or may mean the Landlord can't pay for necessary repairs
    Make sure your Landlord has good business sense and adequate assets

Leave a comment:

Working...
X