Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlord being repossessed, tenant facing eviction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord being repossessed, tenant facing eviction

Hi all:

I am new to the forum and am facing a dilemma. I moved into my rented flat in September 2008 and by February 2009 the mortgage holder began proceedings to repossess the flat. My landlord has done a runner, and I am still in the flat. I have been speaking to the mortgage holder's solicitors about court proceedings, etc. Anyway, the long and short is that I came home this evening to an eviction notice and have to move on 7th May at 11.00 am. I am actively looking for somewhere else to live, but still have not found anywhere appropriate.

I spoke to the court bailiffs today and was advised that I could fill out a simple form, and pay £35.00 in order to meet the judge face to face and plead for an extension (maximum of another 14 days, if granted; if the judge says no, I would still have to move out by 7th May).

Has anyone been through this process and if yes, what was your experience? Is it worth going down the "plead with the judge" route.

I remember reading in the newspapers in February 2009 that new legislation was due to come in on 6th April 2009, which would make it compulsory for mortgage holders to give tenants 6 weeks to vacate. Can anyone offer any more information on this, even where I can find out more.

Lastly, would the bank via their solicitors be open to negotiations for me to continue living in the flat and paying the rent to them. In the current climate, I imagine they are only going to repossess the flat for it to sit empty for God knows how long.

Any thoughts would be grately appreciated. Thanks a million.

janubian :<)
Working...
X