Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharers taking up some of the mid market slack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharers taking up some of the mid market slack

We're seeing a trend towards more sharers renting than a year ago. In fact sharers were virtually invisible a year ago in comparison.

There's alot more choice in the 600- 1000 pw bracket in prime central London and landords who a year ago were holding out for (and reasonably assured of securing) a single person or couple for their three bed flats are now being more realistic.

At the same time the dearth of one bed flats leaves increasingly price conscious city employees little choice but to get together with one or two work colleagues.

There are benefits to landlords too. Tenants have joint and several liability for starters.

Two, three bedroom flats let by our Notting Hill and Sourh Kensington offices yesterday at around 650 per week are far more attractive than anything a tenant is likely to find at around 210 pw. There are savings on Council Tax and utilities for them too.

Got to admit, I think sharing is a potentially good idea all round.

Comment

I can see it becoming more common in many parts of the country, not just central London where I operate.

It'll be interesting to see the effect on four bedroom family houses - whether landlords will ignore HMO legislation to secure tenants or hold out for a family let (if they become more scarce). I regularly hear of cheaper four /five bed houses being let privately "under the radar" of HMO legislation.

My lettings office in Fulham is already finding that medium sized family houses that were the preserve of a corporate families a year ago are now being let to sharers working in the city who individually are struggling to find acceptable one bed flats at 250 pw.

Comment

Working...
      X