Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenants pay dearly for gas and electricity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants pay dearly for gas and electricity

Tenants are likely to be paying more for electricity and gas than homeowners because landlords show little interest in switching to the most competitive supplier.According to financial website, MoneyExpert.com, people in rented accommodation spend up to 13% of their weekly disposable income on gas and electricity, while homeowners are paying an average of 5% on [...]

More: Tenants pay dearly for gas and electricity

Rising utility prices are a fact of life for everyone, not just tenants. Of course tenants are often more vulnerable to increases in essential services as, in many areas at least, they tend to be on lower incomes.

What concerns me is that these stories will be used as more ammunition by the EPC lobby to justify the introduction of EPCs on rented property this year. The cost of which will inevitably add to the cost of renting - for tenants (and a few over financed landlords) already on the brink.

Their introduction to the sales market has not as far as I can see done anything to improve "energy efficiency" (fewer than 1 in a hundred buyers ever ask to see one) - rather just create more carbon emmissions as inspectors drive around.....

Comment

It's also worth taking care from a tenant point of view, too. I remember when my partner was in student accomodation, she got pretty badly done by on the bills because of a cock up with British Gas.

And welcome to the forums, Barry.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Nice to be here.

Comment

From personal experience, because my rent does not include electricity usage, the responsibility for setting up power supplier is down to myself. I switched from EON to British Gas recently based on the figures on a comparison website.

Comment

Working...
          X