Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no pets no dss , no this or that?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no pets no dss , no this or that?

Whatever peoples views are on renting to families with pets or dss,the fact is people from all walks of life in all situations concerning housing more than ever now need a home. The days of the majority of bad tenants renting privately are really not there now. I live in the south east , and have many friends who let and others who are in private rented properties and who are either both in employment or one is, and the other at home with children , or I know those whom are not in employment at present due to marital break up and after their home was sold cannot afford to buy another house on their own with half the equity ,as there is not enough after paying the mortgage off etc so they have no option but to seek private landlord rental property.
    Some tenants pay half rent, supported by some housing benefit to top up due to thier financial situation. Others may have full housing benefit and no option but to not work as the single parent after divorce , or losing thier home or just cannot buy alone so has to therefore remain at home until the children are old enough to be more independent, as working part time and having children as a one parent family is very difficult when the children need the security of the parent to be there eg, school holidays, inset days, poorly days etc as child care is too dear to take on .
    It works out the wages full or part time are lost to the child care fees and taken into account as part of the overall picture with other benefits, so in one hand and out the other.
    Working full time is possibly a financially better option as a lone parent with child care costs helped by benefit, but dont you think it would be more sense to up peoples wages nationwide to be in line with all the incredible cost of living and expenses? silly question...
    Getting back though to the point which is still related to this, Dss , pets and children are nearly always excluded from rental properties, so how do the landlords expect to find a perfect couple with no children, ? as most want them at some point, and to let a 3 bed house with no children seems ridiculous. no pets ? well that should not always be a problem, if the rules are laid down for the tenant to abide by concerning the care of the house they are renting with pets, eg no pets upstairs{ stair gate? maybe hardwearing wood flooring , any noise from a pet over a certain period of time which can cause neighbours annoyance can be included in the agreement, and the choice of action be of the landlords discression.
    Not all properties are suitable for pets, but most are suitable for children. dss should not be an issue, you still need references for any tenant, the money is paid to the landlord, either by the tenant or direct to the landlord via housing benefit, the landlord still receives it as can be set up from a tenants bank account which is purely for the rent and paid automatically as a standing order, or however it is requested.
    people are having to rent more than ever due to high rise property prices, and no council houses available as are in such demand and such a shortage, so the letting agents are now pushing up the prices for rental due to the need.
    The estate agents have managed to push prices up dramatically in the last few years without any thought as to how they have historically caused this country to change drastically in the housing economy, people moving abroad to get away from the UK before they lose their homes, people buying to let to make money out of property, its all gone completely crazy, this country is in a really bad state, so the English are going to find it virtually impossible to get on the property ladder.
    So landlords should be thinking of the huge amount of people out there who need a home desperately now and many many to come,. why should would - be tenants be penalized more by the high rental after losing or having to sell up their homes due to the high cost of living and mortgage repayments? where are the English going to live? Allow their children, allow pets if possible,
    You get your rent due and should be on time if its worked right from the beginning by both landlord and tenant .
    Theres always bad landlords and bad tenants, but the majority are fine, just so the regulations are covered in all areas for the landlord and tenants peace of mind.
    The asking prices for rental property are not always being achieved, no matter what the agents are pricing them at, many friends and others I know have offered hundreds less on rental properties as they cannot afford the prices, and are let to them on an agreed far lower price since the properties are vacant for quite a long time which is not good for the owner of the property.
    prices of £1000 plus, even up to £1,500 for 3 bed semis is outrageous , its obvious that its part greediness on the estate agents side for bigger commission, and part for the owner whom most only have one house to rent whilst buying another to live in and are needing the high rental to make a small profit and to pay the high mortgages, and to keep the house inhabited for its their nest egg later in life, since pensions were affected. This mean charging sky high rent. it just is not working as many houses become re-available for rent after a short time, as people move on to a cheaper realistic priced rental property, so its a risky business. but most are offering well under the asking price since most cannot get the top price asked, in actual fact its quite alot being knocked down to. Its all over rated this property market game, its messing with the future of our childrens lives, and in the meantime showing us this country is actually losing more and more by emigrating . seems like plenty are coming here.. but we wont go there, its going to be a huge shock for them in a few years , one cannot deny the country has misplaced loyalties.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say, and to prove a point, I have a property around the corner from me that I am helping to rent out, where the landlord is willing to take DSS. Within 24 hours I had four enquires to view, all of whom receive housing benefit. And after meeting everyone of them, I learnt that there is a lack of DSS accepted places in the Southampton private housing market. So everyone wanted this house. In the end I gave up the "first come first served" principle, and selected who I thought would treat the house with respect.

And some rental prices are high, without a doubt. I always give a price range for a property, and almost everyone goes for the higher price. And then two or three weeks later, we're down to the lower end of that price range.

It makes more sense to me that rental prices should be realistic. One family I do work for, has the right idea - they pitch their prices at just below the realistic level, and their properties are always full. At present they have 350 flats around the city, and this is due to increase by another 45 in May - and I can bet you that these extra 45 will go in less than a month. Because they know that to be successful, they need to pitch low and remain full, rather than pitch high and get very little.

The letting industry is no longer the cash cow that it once was, and I think that people need to realise this in order to make money out of it.

Cheers, Lee.
    http://www.coxford-lettings.com

Comment

Working...
    X