Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falling house prices means over 20,000 facing negative equity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling house prices means over 20,000 facing negative equity

With the continued slide in house prices, figures from the Council of Mortgage Lenders suggest that there is likely to be an increase in the number of people whose mortgage is worth more than their property. In the 12 months to the end of March, over 23,200 homeowners who took out a 100% mortgage could [...]

More: Falling house prices means over 20,000 facing negative equity

Massive price rises over the last 10 years mean most people are sitting on substantial equity. I can't see that this mirrors the situation in the early 90s.

Comment

I think personally there is a difference between now and the 90's.

The peer pressure alone has urged people to get into debt to conform.

The amount of loans and credit cards that has been offered by banks and building societies certainly hasnt helped. Then for all lending facilities to be stop and reconsolidation impossible! The home owner is left with no choice but to lend against thier home....hence the reason we are having problems.
      Becky

www.fruitmortgages.com

Comment

Yes. I think there is far more unsecured debts than 1990s, via credit cards and loans, which will cause the main problems rather than mortgage repayments.

Hopefully all of this will mean people will be more sensible and consider purchases they don't really need.

MM
        UK pension annuity IFA advisor Get more via your OMO
        Dubai mortgages bank accounts financial services

Comment

Working...
        X