Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK property bargains there for the taking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK property bargains there for the taking

Leading independent property fund manager, Rockspring, has advised reluctant UK investors to stop hoarding cash and scoop up British property bargains following the 17% drop in commercial values since last summer.It is understood that more than £1bn worth of acquisitions in the UK market have been made by German funds since the beginning of the [...]

More: UK property bargains there for the taking

Isn't a fall in demand for commercial property more to do with changing lifestyles/working patterns and the internet?

We all need to live somehwere still - I'd have thought that now might be the time to take advantage of residential property opportunities.

Comment

Rentals have increased up to 17%

Originally posted by BarryM View Post
      Isn't a fall in demand for commercial property more to do with changing lifestyles/working patterns and the internet?

We all need to live somewhere still - I'd have thought that now might be the time to take advantage of residential property opportunities.
      I would think to agree, its common sense really. Take the market fears and use them if you have the capital, don't be a sheep and follow the pack.

According to the Chase Devonshire Property blog its a great time to invest, I just wish I had the money as I would be in there like flint taking advantage just like the clever Germans are obviously doing.

I am wondering which areas are the best to invest in - I have a wife and her daughter is heavily into property so this info in this case will be passed on to her at least!

She is currently investing in her own home by upgrading as she reckons its a great time to do that too as a lot of builders are apparently now looking for work too!

Does anyone have any idea if its such a great idea to do additions to homes now or not?
      Webslave - Internet Marketing Research
      for Users, clients and future tracking - predictive web solutions.

Comment

UK property bargains there for the taking

This is true. I have looked in all areas and wish I had the Capital to buy at this time. Even a couple of small properties with a little work would go well towards a rental income.
        Pinoso Property Property Murcia

Comment

I guess unfortunately, the old adage is true here: you need money to make money

Comment

commercial property has much further to fall IMO, have a look at the FTSE 100 and 250 now in a bear market.
            http://www.jpfinancial.co.uk/

Comment

You don't need alot of money to invest..it's all about finding the right discounted property.

Becky
              Becky

www.fruitmortgages.com

Comment

Know I don't need a lot to invest but am trying to hold what bit of capital I have until I settle back into this country. Thought I had it all planned until ***!!!! happened.
                Pinoso Property Property Murcia

Comment

What a mess..

thanks to greedy estate agents and letting agents this mess is largely thier fault. we owned our own property till things went wrong due to the housing market.
                  8/10 years ago, prices were beginning to fly, and all the hots spots were manufactured through agents, no one else. we are like a flock of sheep when it comes to it, we follow that leader who ever they are , taking risks oblivious to the outcome believing they are right. well no one ever really does anything to stop it, we all were led up the garden path, make money out of property etc, always looking for a bargain, property programmes , auctions, hot spots, best place to live, worse place to live, sea view quadruple prices pushing locals out of thier local villages where generations have lived, no more affordable property , no homes for young local families, instead foriegners etc buying up streets, and anything else they can buy to rent out making a get rich quick killing, letting to young local families whos ancestors had lived in, building them many many years ago, minors cottages, fishermans villages, etc . all for what? to use now as money making schemes by every other tom dick and harry , most who dont have a clue, renovate and let, buy and sell on, fed up with it all. rental way too high, especially in certain areas, saw guildford outer towns, etc all with £1,250 upwards for a squatty 3 bed semi, now sitting like all rentals , unable to let as the recession has taken its toll on everyones financial situation . They have priced property thru the roof over the years. thanks a bunch all agents, we so wanted to lose our homes , we so wanted to watch our children not able to afford to buy a property, and pay high rent, we so wanted to see streets, villages become 2nd homes to the better off investors, becoming ghost towns, all local traders finding no work due to 2nd home owners properties sitting vacant, so they have to move on, but to where, oh yes, government housing them in temporary b+b, for along time until a house comes available...what house? thousands on the waiting list, having to bid on on anything that turns up, could be months before a suitable property in the area you need comes up, oh yes and the now 50 percent share schemes etc, not only do you have to buy a percentage of the house which seemed like a light at the end of the tunnel , but then of course you have to also have to pay rent on that property, you then, on some schemes, can buy more percentages of your place over the years, if you can affor it, so many new hidden regs, watch out.nothings that good a deal.just drop the prices in line with the prices in other European countries and change the big deal about property investment to just needing affordable homes for all here and abroad too ,but if it gets sensible here it will elsewhere. its a big hype which agents have made about property, they need to make a living based primarily on commission, and convincing us all of what we should pay for what has been unfairly overestimated and with no control. we have let them do this, how can they say what a house is worth, when I remember 2 identical properties sold in one road , both 2 doors from each other, only a few years old and were priced at £20,000 difference. they were mirror images of each other marketed by 2 different estate agents , no extra mod cons, no other specifics etc. thats what makes me frustrated to see no one controls these people, maybe now after they have rocketed our homes so high it will affect thier homes in turn.

Comment

Melissa, You do have alot so say! and a heck of alot to say about estate agents??? I must ask........ Do you understand how estate agents value property???????
                    Becky

www.fruitmortgages.com

Comment

Originally posted by melissa View Post
                      thanks to greedy estate agents and letting agents this mess is largely thier fault. we owned our own property till things went wrong due to the housing market.

8/10 years ago, prices were beginning to fly, and all the hots spots were manufactured through agents, no one else. we are like a flock of sheep when it comes to it, we follow that leader who ever they are , taking risks oblivious to the outcome believing they are right.

(snip snip)

we have let them do this, how can they say what a house is worth, when I remember 2 identical properties sold in one road , both 2 doors from each other, only a few years old and were priced at £20,000 difference. they were mirror images of each other marketed by 2 different estate agents , no extra mod cons, no other specifics etc. thats what makes me frustrated to see no one controls these people, maybe now after they have rocketed our homes so high it will affect thier homes in turn.

If you admit you're a sheep following someone else, how does that end up being an estate agent's fault?

When the identical houses were priced differently, how do you know that was due to the estate agent? can you say for certain that the owner didn't insist on pricing on theirs higher than their neighbour in a game of one-upmanship?

More to the point, it DOESN'T MATTER what they were priced at. What did they sell for? A house is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of the asking price. Did they sell at similar prices?

What sort of 'control' do you want? Do you want the government to determine what prices houses are bought/sold at? Your local council? Or shall we form a new quango to regulate the housing market?

Why stop at houses - why should car dealers determine what they sell cars for? Same model should be sold for the same price by different dealers, shouldn't it? Why should supermarkets undercut each other? It's the same tin of beans, whether Tesco or Waitrose sells it, so they should all sell it for the same, shouldn't they?

Discuss.

Comment

Working...
                      X