Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put half of the house in my name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put half of the house in my name?

I'm planning to buy a house with my husband and will be putting in deposit of £30 grand on a £330 grand house ( from my savings). I'm a stay at home mum, whereas my husband has a good income and, you'd think, should always have a job.
    His health however is not great and he does get sick quite often. We also have a two year old. I don't know how much of what I've written here is relevant but my question is basically should I put half of the house in my name, or is it better to leave it all in his name (perhaps just sign some contract whereby in the event of separation he will owe me my deposit)?
    I'm just concerned that should something happen I will not be able to pay the mortgage and might be left with a big debt. I was earning pretty much a minimum wage before we had a baby. I also have a flat ( in my sole name) and don't want the bank to go after it if say il end up with debt on the house.

Re: Put half of the house in my name?

Hi Ana,

You and your husband should the other person die all yours or his assets pass over to the remaining spouse still alive. Remember that if you want to be on the title deeds you have to be on the mortgage whether you are earning income or just a housewife doesnt matter. The simplist answer is get a life policy to cover the mortgage upon the death of yourself or your husband that will pay the mortgage upon either death. As you are joint owners the remaining part of the property passes over teh teh spouse still alive.

Hope this helps

Ged Ward
    http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Working...
    X