Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pay off mortgage early?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay off mortgage early?

Hi all,

I have a 30 year mortgage for £69,000. I have 23 years left and the balance is £60,000. With Alliance and Leicester.

I'm on a tracker (I think) and paying £345 per month.

I've started doing some freelance work since January (whilst still maintaining my full time job) which is going quite well. I've made £4,000 (ish) up until now.

As much as a "Round the world" cruise would be lovely! I'm trying to keep my sensible hat on.

My questions are - should I overpay on my mortgage? If so - are there any penalties? Should I overpay as and when I can? Or should I save it up off and pay it off in bulk?

This is new to me, any advice would be most appreciated!

Re: Pay off mortgage early?

Hi if you are looking to overpay to reduce your mortgage balance it is worth looking at your mortgage paperwork to see if there are any penalties for overpayments. Some lenders allow you to make a 10% overpayment of the o/s loan amount every year without incurring any penalties.

Comment

Re: Pay off mortgage early?

Hi there,

If you can pay more on a monthly basis that will be better providing there are no penalties for overpaying.

Ged
      http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X