Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much we can borrow: Salary multiplication VS Affordability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much we can borrow: Salary multiplication VS Affordability

Hello all, We are planning to buy a house and let out the flat that we are living in. I have been told that the days of salary multiplication has long gone, i was wondering if someone could clarify this or explain about the amount one could borrow from lenders nowadays (comparing to few years back if any different that is).

I have several income sources. My primary income is in the region of £43k p/a and recently secured a home based part time job that gets me another £13K p/a on top. With the additional of rental income from the flat of around £3500 p/a, i would have in total of around £60k. With that, i could comfortably put around £1400 (we are a low maintenance people with no kids and car) in the mortgage pot for the house. Now this is where i need clarification of how lenders work.

Based on the affordability of £1400 a month, that could pay for a £280K mortgage (3.5% interest for 25 years), but but based on rule of thumb salary multiplication of 4 which i have been told that apparently 4 is the magic number most banks do nowadays as responsible lending, i would only get £240K. I was wondering which one is the true case? Is there any lenders nowadays that would lend more than 4? maybe 5 even 6?

Thank you
Working...
X