Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far to stretch when buying a house..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far to stretch when buying a house..

Please can I get some advice! Myself and my partner have got a good deposit together, first time buyers, chain free and am looking to buy in london. We are also looking to get married in a year and a half. We have been looking for a property for a year now and just havent found anything we have liked/been too fussy! I have done the sums and we could put a 20% deposit together comfortably on a property and still have money available for the other house related fees, wedding fund etc.This would be a 30 year mortgage, 4 year fixed, 3.49% rate (option a).

Option b) If we found something that we really really really liked we could go up by £5-10k on property price however our deposit would be lower (15%), 3 year fixed rate would be 0.14% higher, 4 year fixed rate would be 0.45% higher. The average increase in mortgage each would be about £60-70. Deposit being lower has an advantage as would mean an additional money for wedding, rainy day, house furniture.

What is better money wise option a or b? i am thinking its better to go with option b - borrow more money as we have the expense of the wedding to pay for and we will be fixed for 3/4 years which will provide security.

Thanks,
    Aranya

Re: How far to stretch when buying a house..

Hi Aranya,

In my opinion it's always best to borrow as little as possible - that way your payments should be lower all things being equal.

Plus the rate on a 85% versus a 80% can be quite a bit higher.

The best idea would be to talk things through with an experienced mortgage broker - and take things from there.

Comment

Working...
    X