Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seperate Residential mortgage for husband and wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean.
    replied
    Re: Seperate Residential mortgage for husband and wife

You could mortgage one as a main residence and one as a 2nd home.

So yes it is possible
    Sean

Leave a comment:

• LILY13-14
    replied
    Seperate Residential mortgage for husband and wife

Hi I also have a similar question.

2 years ago when we were not married, we bought 2 off-plan property separately. Both of the properties are due to completion this year, and we are married this year, now we are thinking about applying for mortgages. can we have 2 residential mortgages? So he apply one residential mortgage for his property by using his salary, and I apply for one for my property by using my salary? My salary and his salary are enough to afford two properties separately.

I heard about it is not legal for one household to have 2 residential mortgage, is it true?

Please let me know! thank you so much!

Leave a comment:

• Sean.
    replied

Hi AM,

In answer to your questions, it's true that most lenders will not permit a married couple to apply for a mortgage in just one of their names - but I know of a lender who will accept your wife as the sole mortgage applicant with you only being named as an occupant.

This means you will not be named on the mortgage or property title deeds - and hence you would be permitted to obtain your own residential mortgage in future.

Leave a comment:

• TurnKey Landlords
    replied

Hi Meltingfire,

Your best bet would be to speak to a good mortgage broker. Get your wife to talk to one too. They know mortgages like the back of their hands' (brokers) so your question should be an easy one for them to answer.

Good luck!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Seperate Residential mortgage for husband and wife

Dear members

This is my first post to the forum. I have been a silent follower and active user and appreciate the contributions. Now I need some help and though the lovely fellows here will have some input.

I live with my wife in a rented accomodation and both of us work full time.

My wife wants to buy a house on residential mortgage as sole ownership which she will pay for (deposit+mortgage installment etc). I intend to live with her for now. But I do not want to be on the mortgage or any sort of documentation for several reasons like I want my credit history not affected by this, I want open choice to have my own mortgage and I don't want relationship changes affect anything.

Our marriage is not registered in the UK but another country. I am not sure what constitutes a 'legal marriage'.

I want to know:
    1. Do I have to be named on the mortgage she takes? (as contributor)
    2. Do I have to be named on house title as a tenant and how does it affect me and my mortgages in future?
    3. Can I buy a house on my own name as residential mortgage at later stage, let's say 2 years later? I will live in it time to time as I need my own space sometimes as I am home based worker. I might also want to rent it out.

I have been told you can not get separate residential mortgages which sounds odd to me. If both of us earn good enough to afford it, why not?

I would like to know what the actual situation is. If its not possible, what are alternatives or workarounds. I know there are always those loopholes and ways to avoid funny laws.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks
    AM
Working...
X