Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage for 50% of home so sister gets paid for her half

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage for 50% of home so sister gets paid for her half

My mum was leaving me half the house and other half to sister. Idea was one of us, me really as my sister stays in an other country, would get a mortgage and pay my sister for the current half of market value. Not sure how this works but my mum did this from my gran and bought and paid her sister the half.

But my dad has been ill and my mum suggests me and my husband buy the house within the next year. She would stay in the house and mabye pay rent to us and share the bills.

But i dont know how all this works really and once i have a better understanding of process i can then seek legal adivce.

Re: Mortgage for 50% of home so sister gets paid for her half

Without knowing the FULL details, it appears that a buy to let could be the best way forward, especially if your mum plans on staying there once you transfer the mortgage into your own name and she will be paying rent.

Also, bear in mind the inheritance tax issues related to this if the worst were to happen and your mother passed away within 7 years of transferring the property to you and your siblings.
    Ailan - ALQ Mortgage Consultancy
    Best Mortgage Rates

Comment

Working...
    X