Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remortgage after 5 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remortgage after 5 years

Hi all,

Mr fiance and I are NRAM customers (ex Northern Rock) We are just coming to the end of our 5 year fixed rate at 7.29% and will be reverting to their SVR which is 4.79%.

We brought our property for £176,000 in 2007 (our borrowing consisted of £167,200 mortgage, £15,800 and un-secured loan.

I have worked out we have paid £78,000 over the last 5 years off our mortgage but have actually only paid around £2,000 of the total balance (gut wrentching!!)

My question is, can we remortgage? i know we would need a 100% LTV mortgage but due to the fact we have had a mortgage and paid it for the last 5 years without even a late payment let alone missing one, would anyone take us on? i can understand that if we were a new customer the answer would be no. But as we have had 5 years of good history behind us would this work in our favour?

Many thanks in advance

Re: Remortgage after 5 years

Hi there,

Firstly, your calculations seem to be incorrect. If your mortgage and loan balance totals £176,000 and your fixed interest rate over the last 5 years has been 7.29% then you will have paid a maximum of £64,152 of interest over those 5 years. Therefore, if your total payments over this time have been £78,000 then you ought to have repaid at least £14,000 of your mortgage balance, not £2,000.

This is important as it may mean that you do not actually need a 100% mortgage as you think.

Check your correct mortgage balance with NRAM first before you start to check what you can do next, I think you'll find it is less than you think.

Also, bear in mind that the unsecured loan part of your mortgage would not necessarily need to be included in the balance that you switch to a new lender - but if you leave it with NRAM after the mortgage has been switched it is likely that the interest rate will increase to above 10% so the monthly payments on it will rise.

Considering that your interest is due to fall by 2.5% when your fixed rate ends, and therefore your payments will reduce accordingly, is it desperately important that you switch lenders anyway?

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X