Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-mortgage on inherited house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-mortgage on inherited house?

Hi there, am new to this forum and desperately hoping for some financial advice before I book an appointment with the bank.

My brother and I have inherited the family house, which is mortgage-free and valued at £300,000. We both want to keep this as an investment (plus we live here) so selling is not an option, however I'm not sure what our options would be if we re-mortgage to buy a second property? Can we? The house was paid-up a couple decades ago.

Ideally we would like to purchase a flat for the other to move in to. I really don't know what would be the best way forward as far as mortgages go.

Do we take out a £300,000 mortgage on the house and keep back, say 30k, to use as a deposit on a new place?

Or should we buy the flat outright and only have one mortgage on the house?

Really, really would appreciate any advice from people who know a lot more about this than I do.

Many thanks in advance!!

Paul

Re: Re-mortgage on inherited house?

Paul,

Easiest way is to mortgage the property for £150,000 in one name and give this to one of you to do put into a new property as a deposit. At the same time change the legal title to solely the person who has the mortgage.

Then you each have a mortgage in your own name and not joint names which can get very complicated in the future and each have a sole legal title on a property
    Adam Long

www.quickhomeseller.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X