Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage deposit

Hi

As a property owner I am considering placing my property on the market early 2012.
    (Value circa 120000 / 125000)

My understanding is that most first time buyers, securing a mortgage would need to find at the very least, a 20% deposit

I am considering the option of "providing" the required deposit as a loan say for a 2 3 or 4 year term.

Does anyone have any comments regarding this idea?

I am particulary interested to know how I would secure the necessary repayment?

Thanks

Dave.

Re: Mortgage deposit

No first time buyers can get 90% loans but at higher rates.
    BRAND NEW HOMES
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Thanks for your reply N.H.E.

Comment

And actually at up to 95%. They certainly pay for it. Your idea is extremely intriguing, as you propose to be some kind of rogue mortgage lender/personal loan provider, but id also consider the issues a first time buyer might face when explaining to the mortgage lender where they sourced the deposit. In a way you're offering a back door to getting a personal loan to subsidise a deposit.
        Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

You would be able to lend the deposit to the borrower, secured as a second charge.

However lenders will talk the payment to you into account when establishing the borrowers mortgage and this would limit their max loan. Also, the vast majority of lenders will not allow a deposit from a vendor (except some new build circumstances)

That said, mortgages up to 95% are readily available so you shouldnt need to go down this route
          Large mortgages and High Net Worth Mortgages from enness private clients

Comment

There's another issue of this idea being a backdoor to a 100% LTV mortgage - not necessarily an ideal way of avoiding negative equity for first time buyers.
            Free Guides For First Time Buyers!

www.FirstTimeBuyerGuru.com

Comment

Lenders have stopped accepting vendor gifted deposits (unless new build) and only allow gifted deposits from family members too. What you are proposing is not something any lender would go for.
              Anthony
              Compare the Mortgage Market
              http://www.comparethemortgagemarket.com

Comment

Working...
              X