Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why cant I get residential mortgage for commercial property with planning permission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant I get residential mortgage for commercial property with planning permission?

I am trying to buy an old school building and attached school masters house which have full planning permission to turn them into one four bedroom residential property. My mortgage adviser has told me that I cannot get a residential mortgage for the property because the majority of the property is still a school building. They have suggested I get a commercial mortgage instead, even though I have no intention of using the school building as a business. Is this right? Why would I not get a residential mortgage if the planning has been granted and I plan to use the space as residential?

Re: Why cant I get residential mortgage for commercial property with planning permiss

You may be able to get a residential mortgage on this if you can find a lender who can appreciate your plans and you have the money available to fund the renovations. Transactions like this are hard to finance but there are options if your circumstances permit.

Many of our clients however go for a bridge finance deal to do the work then remortgage to a residential mortgage once the works are complete - although a touch more expensive it is a lot easier
    Large mortgages and High Net Worth Mortgages from enness private clients

Comment

Re: Why cant I get residential mortgage for commercial property with planning permiss

I recently did a mortgage for a client in a simular position to you. They were turning a hotel back into a residential property.

Drop me message if you wanted to have a chat about it.

Regards

Chris

Comment

Working...
      X