Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unemployed and looking to reduce mortgage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployed and looking to reduce mortgage

I currently have a property valued at £240,000. I have an outstanding mortgage currently of £82,000 which means I have a capital of £158,000. I have recently been made unemployed and am looking to move out of area. I have identified a property in another location that would mean reducing my mortgage requirement to £40,000. I wrongly assumed that I could switch my mortgage with my current lender given the fact that I was halfing my mortgage with them to which they said being unemployed they would not be able to support my application. I am not looking for employment until I have relocated. Is there any advice anyone can give me as to how I may be able to obtain the required mortgage?

Re: Unemployed and looking to reduce mortgage

Maybe use a Guarantor?

Comment

Is your income currently zero, or do you have tax credits / benefits coming in that a lender could use? If your income is zero no mortgage lender will provide you with a mortgage no matter how small or low Loan to Value ratio as they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court if you couldn't pay.

Is there another person (family member, good friend?) who could join you on a joint mortgage for a period while you settled into work and could then be removed from the mortgage? (be careful with this as they would potentially own half of the house which means half of your invested capital)

Why not sell up, put the money in the bank, and rent for 6 months in your new location while getting into work and looking for property. Being a no chain buyer will put you in a good position for negotiating on purchasing a property, and you'll get to know the area better so are less likely to make a mistake by buying something unsuitable.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Check again whether you can transfer your mortgage, even if you have to pay a fee. It will be much easier than finding new mortgage

Comment

Working...
        X