Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home owner - No one to leave house to!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home owner - No one to leave house to!

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can answer my question and help me out?

Me and my Wife have been married for 10 years and in our mid 30's, we own a property valued around 250k with a mortgage of approximate 100k.

We are currently discussing moving and what we'd be able to borrow, the thing is we have no one to leave our property to when we have both passed so I was wondering if there are any mortgages that take this into consideration?

For example, when we're gone the lender would own the property outright?

Many thanks

Re: Home owner - No one to leave house to!

If you pass away with a mortgage of £100k and a house valued at £250k, my perception is that the mortgage co is entitled to the repayment of their mortgage, not the whole house.

If you pass without specifically leaving a will, and there are truly no beneficiaries to your estate, I believe the balance of your estate, once all debts are settled, including those to the mortgage co., your estate passes to the crown - i.e. the government.

If that doesn't incite you to make a will to give your estate to charity, friends, etc, I don't know what will....

Comment

Working...
    X