Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd mortgage / BTL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd mortgage / BTL

Good evening all,

I'm considering moving into a smaller house near me (value £75k), however I already have a mortgage for £85k on the house I'm living in now.

A lady from work is interested in renting my current place (mortgage = £325, agent estate rental value = £450).

My question is, with my salary of £26000 will I:

a) Be able to just get a second mortgage for the new place and leave my first and rent it out (assuming I tell my current provider with this and they are happy).

b) Need to transfer my current mortgage to Buy To Let before I can use my income again to buy the next place?

Any advice welcome,
    Regards

Dan

Re: 2nd mortgage / BTL

The big question is really about the amount of equity you have - at the end of the day, if you have funds to secure a good deposit, lenders will be more favourable to you.

Comment

A few years ago you may have been abnle to Dan as lenders looked at the return of the BTL and not quite as much at your own income- whereas now there are stricter ruules on your own salary as well as tighter criteria for your overall 'affordability'.

You really need to sit down with an IFA and look at your options.

As Brian says a lot will depend on your currentl level of equity which you dont reveal in your post.

Comment

If you intend to let one of your properties out long term you will need a buy to let Mortgage, if you have a lender in mind talk to them about their lending criteria and you should get an insight into what salary etc you will need
        Best wishes

Sean Hughes

Independent Financial Adviser

Comment

Working...
        X