Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get a mortgage on a Contractors wage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get a mortgage on a Contractors wage?

My boyfriend and I would like to get a mortgage as we both currently live with our parents around 40 miles apart. I am in permanent employment earning £14000.00 (and have been promised a pay rise). My boyfriend was made redundant last year and has taken a job as a contractor, with no way of knowing how long the job will last, earning around £19000 (much less than his previous job). I was wondering if it would be possible for us to get a mortgage? We wouldn't want anything big, perhaps borrow £70000 with a deposit of £10000. I have a funny feeling I already know the answers but would be very greatful for any advice. Thanks very much in advance.

Re: Can we get a mortgage on a Contractors wage?

It doesn't sound unrealistic, but as your boyfriend is effectively self-employed this may make using his income for the mortgage application more challenging - not least because you'll need his accounts signed off by an accountant, and I suspect changes have been too recent for a full accounting year to take place.

I know self-certified mortgages are under a lot of pressure at present, but it's certainly feasible that they may be available for your combined incomes.

Definitely recommend speaking to a mortgage advisor or broker, and see what options and recommendations they can come up with.

Comment

Working...
    X