Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interest only/repayment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interest only/repayment

i have taken out a £125,000 interest only mortgage .How much would i be wise to put away into an ISA (to pay off the debt each year)to counteract not being on a repayment ,this is only a short term plan 3 years maximum before reverting to repayment?

Re: interest only/repayment

You can only put up to £7200 into a shares ISA, or £3600 into a cash ISA, per annum.

Comment

If you can afford to put extra money away in an ISA as a temporary measure until changing to repayment in 3 years time, why not have repayment now?

Then you wouldn't have to worry about whether you are saving enough each month or not.

If full repayment is too expensive for you, and you've chosen interest only as a means to pay less, then the answer to your question is probably "as much as you can afford".

You'd be best off seeking financial advice if you really want a specific answer to your question as it depends on other factors such as the type of ISA, the rate of return, the term of your mortgage etc etc...

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

I'm loathe to correct you Brian but hasn't the maximum you can put into a cash ISA gone up to £5,100?

Comment

No probs, Kaz - I think that happens from next month, so definitely needs revising.

Comment

I've obviously just given my age away being such a smart *rse as mine has gone up already!

Comment

Rather than using an ISA you might want to consider an offset mortgage whereby your savings offset the interest on your mortgage but you can still use this money should you need it?

Comment

Working...
              X