Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting out in developing and need advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting out in developing and need advice.

I am currently looking into starting property developing with my cousin. Now we have found a plot which consists of a 3 bed detached house worth 270,000 and detailed planning permission for a 2 bed detached house to be built on the side of it. Now we currently have £20,000 for a deposit, but unsure if we can secure the £300,000 asking price for the plot. Does anybody have any advise on where to go? We would only need the full £300,000 until the 3 bed house sells then we can pay most of it back.

If any other information is needed i can post that up to.

Re: Starting out in developing and need advice.

Not sure if I'm understanding this right, from what I can gather you want to borrow £280,000 against a purchase price of £300,000, then sell the existing property for £270,000 (leaving you with a £10,000 debt on a plot of land) which you will then build on.

Is that correct?

If so, firstly the initial mortgage requirement of £280,000 on a property value of £300,000 gives a loan to value ratio of 93.33% which may be very difficult if not impossible to obtain.

Secondly, where is the finance for the build project coming from? After selling the property you will be left with a plot of land upon which you owe £10,000, and if I'm understanding you correctly you will have no additional funds to commence the build with. Financing a self-build project with no funds of your own, and relying solely on borrowed money, is again likely to prove extremely difficult if not impossible.

www.thomasdobner.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X