Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Advice on how I go about taking my name off joint mortgage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice on how I go about taking my name off joint mortgage

    I’ve currently Just got a mortgage with my boyfriend of 8 years and found him being unfaithful to me,we haven’t even paid the first payment yet and want to leave,I want my name off the mortgage so I can cut all ties with him. How do I get help?
    Last edited by Amy Parkes; 25-04-2019, 06:52 PM.

  • #2
    Hi Amy,

    The question is whether his income, outgoings, credit history, etc. are sufficient to support the mortgage by himself. If yes, then happy days, contact a solicitor and your mortgage lender and between them, you can get things moving.
    However, if he can't afford the mortgage by himself, then you'll have more of an uphill battle, as he'd either have to find someone else to replace you on the mortgage or you'll have to sell the property. The latter is also problematic (ask a solicitor about your rights, etc), but also because if you sell a property within 6-12 months of buying it, your buyer will have a real issue finding a mortgage lender who accepts your short ownership. Lenders don't like it when someone sells a property within the first 6-12 months, as this could indicate money laundering / mortgage fraud.

    Hope the above helps!
    Whole of market independent mortgage broker in London. We advise on mortgages UK wide including London, South East and as far afield as Scotland and Wales.
    I am a Mortgage Advisor
    For further information and for tailored advice:
    [email protected]


    • #3
      To take off your name from a joint mortgage loan agreement, you can take up any of the several mentioned ways. Firstly, ask your current lender about changing your loan, you can also re-finance the loan to pay-off the old debt, or lastly, you just have to sell your property or asset to pay off the loan.
      Quick Cash Loans Online


      • #4
        If you want to remove your name from a joint mortgage loan, it is possible to do without refinancing.
        Here we mention some method through which we can remove name off the joint mortgage.

        #1.Getting the Lender to Agree to Remove a Name From a Joint Mortgage.
        #2. Provide your lender with your personal financial information.
        #3. Use your credit report
        #4.Provide your lender with your divorce decree, if applicable
        #5.Ensure that your mortgage loan qualifies for an assumption.
        #6. Sign a mortgage novation or assumption with your lender.
        Quick Cash Loans Online