Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Transfer of deed and mortgage to my sole name?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • brian
    Problem is, it isn't your house - it's your wife's house. It's hers to do with what she likes - legally.

    So far as I understand it, the only tax you would have been liable for is Capital Gains Tax - which is only from profits of sale.

    In which case, the danger is, you've screwed up the finances on a bad tax call, and there's little anyone can do to help.

    Leave a comment:

  • Goodguy
    started a topic Transfer of deed and mortgage to my sole name?

    Transfer of deed and mortgage to my sole name?

    Been married for nearly two years and now we are divorcing and wife is returning back to her country in August 2009 and leaving a 20month child with me.

    I brought a house in 2007 on my sole name through Halifax and then in Nov 2008 my mum had to remortgage her own property and provided £35000 deposit to buy another house which is on my wife’s name through Birmingham Midshares.

    The agent stated that if tried to get a mortgage with the same company then I would have to pay a government tax of 20% as it’s the same company. So he tried on my wife’s name and we got a mortgage.

    My wife no longer has any interest in the property and wants to transfer the deeds and mortgage on to my name. I called the Mortgage company Birmingham Midshares for advice and they say they can not transfer deeds or mortgage. My financial advisor has said the same; they have said the wife would have to sell the house to me.

    Wife has stopped her monthly mortgage payments and insurance.

    What can I do to get my house back on my name?

    Can the court transfer the house on my name as I’ll have custody of my child? I’ve heard the court can transfer the deed if a parent has a residency order?