Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing work before sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing work before sale

Hi, I am putting my house on the market. I currently rent the property out but have given notice to the tenant. My dilemma is what work to do around the house prior to selling. Once she moves out it is going to be completely empty so need to make the best of an empty house, I plan to redecorate everywhere with a neutral colour to make it look fresh.
    The two big problems are the bathroom and living room. The bathroom suite is a creamy champagne colour, not avocado offensive but certainly needs modernising. new suite will likely mean new tiles etc. Would an inexpensive suite and tiles add value or improve likelihood of sale. (I can do the work myself).
    Living room and hallway have beech colour laminate down and the sheets have started to separate in the living room.Would getting it up and putting a cheapish, neutral carpet down make it more appealing?

I'm aware new owners might rip it up and put their own stamp on but I'm worried I won't get viewing and only ridiculous offers if it looks like a lot need doing. It's only a small a two bed semi so likely buyers would be a young couple of family who may want a house 'they can just move into' for now?

I don't mind spending a bit to help it sell.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X