Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes to floorplan - moving walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to floorplan - moving walls

Hi,

I'm currently looking to buy a new built house in one of the new developments in London. Having a look at floorplan, I feel that some areas (especially kitchen) is not very well thought as it has very little working space and is in general tiny (7m2). As I really liked the first and second floor of the house, I thought about ways of improving ground floor a little bit and I came up with below list of small changes:
    -) moving a door to kitchen to be on the other side of the same wall (about 1m move) -> which would allow me to expand a kitchen with additional working space and units
    -) removing small part of the wall in living room which would also mean moving doors to the living room about 50cm -> which would make living room slightly better in terms of layout and also make my corridor straight
    -) moving a wall (and doors) in the cloaks so that the hallway is straight -> which would allow me to do a small utility-like area and keep hallway straight

Please see attached fragment of the floorplan with changes marked in red and proposed new walls in green.

Having said that, I have couple of questions and would be grateful if someone was able to assist:
    1. Would developer agree to make such changes, at least to the kitchen area? I'm pretty sure they have not yet built that wall.
    2. If I were to do it myself, how much would it cost and how long would it take?
    3. Will I loose NHBC/developer insurance after making these changes?
    4. Does it require building/planning/any type of permission or legal work?

Many thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by minnie; 18-10-2015, 08:55 PM.
Working...
X