Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Improvements - Potentially Adding Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Improvements - Potentially Adding Value?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding some home improvements that may (or may not) add value to the property. Please excuse me if I ask anything stupid as this sort of thing really is alien territory to me.

I live in a small 2 bed, 2 bath flat that needs the en-suite re-doing. The main bed has a bit of a crappy walk in wardrobe that takes up a chunk of the room.

I was thinking instead of re-doing the bathroom, remove the walk-in and make the bathroom the new walk-in wardrobe and making the main bathroom a little nicer instead.

Have I had a moment of genius, or insanity?

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome!

Thanks.

Re: Home Improvements - Potentially Adding Value?

In terms of adding value, extra square footage that can be used as a bedroom, gym or office, is one of the most profitable improvements you can make. Equally, never lose a room which will usually devalue your house, even if you're adding a bathroom or study.
    I am a regular contributor to Safe and Sound Property Inspections blog and other home improvement sites.

Comment

Hi pete, Good advice from last poster, are you looking at selling or for your own needs? reason i ask is if its for your own needs dont worry about value as you will get the use out of it and will enjoy more. In regards to if you are selling i would say why not do both? you maybe be surprised how cheap it can be to replace a bathroom suite, even cheap B&Q ones look good these days. It will add value to the property and stop people putting offers in taking into account they need to replace the en-suite.
      Jacks and Jones Estate Agents
      http://www.jacksandjones.co.uk

Comment

Hey there, Regarding your post, I would strongly recommend you to renovate both bathrooms, especially if you're selling to a woman. It is quite important. We are not talking about a fancy suite, but still it needs an improvement. Also try to make some more space, be removing old furniture (if any).

Comment

I think that this is a great idea. You don’t really need two bathrooms in a small two bed. I would rather turn one of the bathrooms into a study or a wet room, closet, etc. Remove the big wardrobe to add more space to the unit as space definitely increases the value of the property.
          Neli P.
          E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

When renovating you should consider the type of pipes you have the bathrooms - Copper ones will add value to your home, and Plumbing in London is not so expensive These days!

Comment

Working...
            X