Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy house that needs extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy house that needs extension

Hi

I'm currently looking to buy a semi detached house but am finding that most of them do not have the desired kitchen space so am considering buying a property with the intention of extending the ground floor to create our perfect kitchen.

Before committing to such a project I was wondering who has had property extended is able to provide me with a list of complications that may help
    inform my decision.

Most of the properties i've looked at also require new central heating & pwer shower (£4000?), rewiring and consumer unit (£3000?), bathroom (£700), double glazed windows & uPVC Fensa certified doors (£5000?) and carpets throughout (£2000ish). In that order of priority. And of course decorating but i'll do that bit.

But already we're looking at nearly £15,000 and we've not event considered the extension and kitchen units.

I would want the project all taken care of by the builder/project manager so that my only input was high level decision making. From reading around on the internet I have an idea that for this type of project i'd be looking at costs of about £1000 per sq metre. Does this sound realistic?

We'd be looking to add 12.5 square metres.

Also, do prices, such as the per square metre price tend to include plastering, electrics, plumbing?

So, I guess i'm asking for advice along the lines of...

Should I do this? What have I failed to consider in the above list and the big one... can you recommend anyone to do the work should we go ahead?

Thanks

Re: Should I buy house that needs extension

The price per square m it's ok even low, depending where you are looking. Some companies charge even £2-4,000 so you really need to look a lot to get that price. About the extension I have to say that my kitchen has around 12 sq metre connected with a square hall which has about 12 sq m too and than the leaving room. Idea is my kitchen is pretty big considering that all the food preparation takes few min (I don't have time to do a lot) so instead investing in a bigger kitchen get yourself other stuff where you really stay. living room, or a master bead room. I guess it's important to have a big bath too.
    Log Cabins | Eco Homes
    e-mail: [email protected]
    Tel: 028 8289 7617

Comment

Re: Should I buy house that needs extension

I think you should first set or list the places on your priority basis where you spend more time then plan for extension accordingly.

Comment

Working...
      X