Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulating a 1930s house - advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating a 1930s house - advice needed

Hi all, thanks for reading,

completing on a house and starting to get my head around the action plan of what needs doing. I wanted to ask your opinions on insulating a 1930's house.

House is a 1930's 3 Bed Detached...areas of insulation i'm considering balancing cost, and effectiveness...

Not moving into the house until all is done so happy to listen to any suggestions.

Main Roof
    Currently no/little insulation in the roof, so some simple insulation in the roof approx 270mm? Silly question but if there any value in putting in more then 270mm thickness?

Not planning on using the loft place for storage yet...in the future (10 years) may do a loft extension.

Flat Roof
    There is a small section of flat roof at the property...the roof felt is in need of repair, therefore is there any insulation I can put in whilst renewing the waterproofing on the flat roof?

Cavity Wall Insulation
    What are people's opinion on cavity wall insulation? I am considering this...is this a case of contacting my energy supplier to get a quote, are there any views on approximate costs for a house of this size?

Floors
    Expecting to carpet all upstairs, and then laminate/tile downstairs...currently at my parents tiles/laminate are pretty cold...are there any particular ways of insulating floors, or certain types of tiles/flooring/underlay which retains heat better? Kicthen already tiled, not planning on touching that, but rest of house is having the flooring all done...current thoughts, laminate in living/dining room, and tile the hallway, or continue the laminate flooring into the hallway from the living/dining room

Windows
    Although windows are PVC double glazed, I believe they are approx 20years old...I am budgeting to replace all windows in the property, I am assuming (big assumption here so happy to be corrected), that new PVC windows will also help insulate, and erdicate some of the current condensation build up.

Apologies in advance for any silly questions, if there is a more appropriate place to ask these questions (and the other questions i'll have as i continue this project) please let me know, I tried posting on a different website also but this site may be more appropriate.

Thanks all.

Re: Insulating a 1930s house - advice needed

Focus on getting your roof sorted first, this will prevent most energy and damage problems. Once this has been sorted, then look for ways of improving further i.e. cavity wall insulation and double glazing etc

Hope this helps.

Comment

Replacing your home old windows and doors is really a good idea that came into your mind because they are installed in home to shield you away from extreme air flowing during the storm along with preventing flying objects to enter inside your home.

Comment

Do the flat roof first and yes it can be insulated in the process.
        Sarnafil is one of the best flat roof coverings. Much beeter than felt!

Then insulated the main roof. Put in the 270mm thivk. Any more may save some heat loss but benefits probably negligable.

Cavity wall insulation is a good idea. Would cost around £500 depending on your home size. It is doubtful that a 1930's house may even have a cavity to insulate.

You can insulate on the top of floors but the extra thickness (floor height raised) will cuase problems for doors and the staircase.
        Just because the windows are 20 years old, if they are double-glazed why spend thousands replacing them?
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Working...
        X