Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i prepare my wall to paint after taking wall paper down?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i prepare my wall to paint after taking wall paper down?

the house that i moved into had a hideous wall paper on the wall. i decided to take it down and now i want to paint it. i am still in the process of sanding and filling up some spots where i chipped at the wall in the process of taking down the paper. i was wondering what the next step is before painting. im assuming i have to wash down the walls, but is there a primer that i have to paint on the wall before the colored layer specifically having to do with the fact that wallpaper was up previously?

Re: How do i prepare my wall to paint after taking wall paper down?

Hi

MY advice would be to strip the old paper as delicately as possible, wash the walls down, pains with a white primer and then re-paper properly however if you goto a good DIY forum or ask specific decorators on this forum, you will probably get better advice.

Comment

First of all wash the wall and then wash it again.
      use a dish cloth scourer or scrubber to get all the glue and paper remnants off.
      Then you will need to fill all the marks and scratches with fine surface filler and rub down flat and remove any previous loose paint and smooth down paint edges.
      Apply a coat of emulsion with a roller. You can thin it down a bit at this stage.
      i would suggest you use white as it is cheapest.
      Then check the surface, perhaps fill any bits you missed lightly rub down the wall again.

Then it should just be a question of applying two coats of emulsion in your colour choice.
      Matt would be best as it tends to hide imperfections better.
      BRAND NEW HOMES
      Information for UK new home buyers
      New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Of course you have to wash walls first and then use primer and after that its good to paint the wall. If you want more clear advice then I think you have to consult some professional advice, as they will suggest you better than us.
        Man And Van Sherborne | Johnson's of Shaftesbury

Comment

hi I agree to ambition, strip down old paper and wash the walls and use white paints first before anything else. after putting white paint then you can paint another color or post another wall papers properly. But much better if you ask some advice from experts

Comment

Originally posted by mikejordan View Post
            Of course you have to wash walls first and then use primer and after that its good to paint the wall. If you want more clear advice then I think you have to consult some professional advice, as they will suggest you better than us.

As far as I know if you're painting over a wall with a paint that is close to the previous colour, then in general, you don't need to prime existing paint. But painting the wall with a different colour might need primer.
            Sell House Fast

Comment

Originally posted by ambition View Post
              Hi

MY advice would be to strip the old paper as delicately as possible, wash the walls down, pains with a white primer and then re-paper properly however if you goto a good DIY forum or ask specific decorators on this forum, you will probably get better advice.
              That's might be useful for you wash the wall and put the white color on there then could repaint it.
              Quartz Worktops | Granite Worktops

Comment

yes, of course you need to wash the wall first before putting anything on the wall, are you going to change your wall paper too?

Comment

I'm also planning to replace the wallpaper on my daughters room with paint. can i also use the same method on concrete walls?
                  Your trusted interstate removals

Comment

Working...
                  X