Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiator - Thread gone? Switch off.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator - Thread gone? Switch off.

Hi

I have an old style radiator (img below) - it began to leak and my friend said 'the thread has gone' - i dont even know what that means!
    He said to 'turn it off' by turning the knob (see to right of img) 90%- it appeared to stop the dripping for a bit, but now it has started again (very slowly).
    Advice appreciated on how to fix and how to stop it from dripping!

Google Images

Thanks

Re: Radiator - Thread gone? Switch off.

Get a plumber in - if it's potentially leaking you'll need that sorted out before it starts to damage your property.

Comment

Indeed! You better get a new radiator and ask for professional advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Collinsc View Post
        Hi

I have an old style radiator (img below) - it began to leak and my friend said 'the thread has gone' - i dont even know what that means!
        He said to 'turn it off' by turning the knob (see to right of img) 90%- it appeared to stop the dripping for a bit, but now it has started again (very slowly).
        Advice appreciated on how to fix and how to stop it from dripping!

Google Images

Thanks
        Where is it dripping from?

I'm assuming it's dripping from one of the connections? If so check the tightness of all connections and considering replaced the PTFE tape on the joints. Resoldering is also an option depending on where the leak is coming from.

If you aren't confident then it's unlikely to cost you much to get someone in.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
        X