Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using interior designers to increase value...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using interior designers to increase value...

I’m new to developing, and I recently renovated a house, and it simply wasn’t selling. I went with what is the standard clean modern white walls finish. However, since it wasn’t selling, I took a slightly risky move and contacted a local interior design company to redesign the main living area. It cost me just £1500 to do plus their £500 fee, which was well worth it as not only did the place have an offer within 2 weeks, but I raised the price by £5000!

Is this something anyone else has seen or was it just coincidence?
    Just an interesting idea. Dispense with the usual smooth light colours and go for something that really stands out????? (If you would like to know who I used ask). seems people are happy to pay more when they just know its something they want?

What do you think?

Thanks

Re: Using interior designers to increase value...

Renovating house must be properly done as well as decorated in all aspect so it can easily catch attention by buyers. From roof to floor, from rooms to curtains etc, it must be well designed.

Comment

From a development point of view i say what is the point. Whats to say that you would have made the sale without the designers changes? People want to put there own mark on there house when they buy so why waste time and money by having an interior designer come in there is no logic. what changes did the designer make? was it nessecary? and why could you not have done it yourself after all your the "developer" if you want to make it in this game then you should know what to do, By using designers you are risking alienating a lot of potential buyers as they are looking to mold the property to there own taste . the only times you should use them is if you are constructing newbuilds and you have a showroom, you get the designer to do the showroom.
      www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by t45ker888 View Post
        However, since it wasn’t selling, I took a slightly risky move and contacted a local interior design company to redesign the main living area. It cost me just £1500 to do plus their £500 fee, which was well worth it as not only did the place have an offer within 2 weeks, but I raised the price by £5000!

Is this something anyone else has seen or was it just coincidence?
        It can be incredibly off-putting for a buyer to see a property that in most respects seems great, but has such a strong decor that the interior will basically need ripping out and redoing to make it homely.

Those who feel they they have the labour skills and design interest to do so may not be so put off, but everyone else may just see changing the decor through professionals as a big additional and unwanted cost - and hassle.

There have been various programs who promote getting your property redone in neutral colours with limited tasteful furniture, etc - yet you wouldn't believe how many people still put their homes on the market who try and cram the volume of furnishings you might expect in a French baronial palace into a 10' by 10' living room in a little terrace!

Comment

Home Interior design plays a vital role in Remodeling private homes and refers to creation of an interior which suits the requirements of an individual as well as the client’s personal taste. Home designs would vary for the parents of young children to home interior design for childless singles or bachelors.

Comment

I agree with Brian and Trades Master. It is always possible, of course, that an interior design might just 'grab' the attention of a serious viewer but in my experience, many people simply can't see past the current colour scheme and decoration of the house they are viewing. Either that, or they don't have the confidence to tackle simple redecoration schemes.

It's always interesting looking at houses for sale in France - and you can invariably spot the houses owned by Brits (pale colours, minimalist, uncluttered, immaculately presented for camera) with those owned by the French ("so what if the kitchen bin needs emptying and there's clothing drying on the radiators; this is our home and this is how we live"). Mind you, after scouring and tidying up the house for the umpteenth carpet-treader, I am beginning to wonder if the French don't have a point!

Comment

There is one rule you really need to follow and that is to keep it simple. Thats it. What else can i say!
              www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

If you want to sell your home at good price and attract people for buy your home. So, you can do interior design of your home, interior design is creative and technical solutions. That are applied within a structure to achieve home lifestyle enhancement.
                I hope this thing will help you for taking a decision.

Comment

Interior designers cost you money, their "ideas" are not universaly popular either.
                  Save your money and take it off the rpice for a faster sale.

Location and Price matter most!
                  BRAND NEW HOMES
                  Information for UK new home buyers
                  New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

There are a lot of skilled painters and decorators who has really good ideas. Many housing companies hiring tradesmans to to decorate properties so it would be easier to sell or rent. But all those properties that just blends into a beige mash. Same colours same patterns same same same... And always same boring colours "Natural calico", "Jasmin white", "Soft peach" etc. Your house is just a building you have turn it into a home. Use different colours don't be afraid to try all kind of colours and finishes. Plus there are wallpapering, hang wallpapers only on one wall in your bedroom and that already makes a huge impact to general view of the room. And if you hiring someone to do decoration works don't be tricked ! Some of them will try to rip you off.

I recently hired company to paint my entire house from top to the bottom. To do that I was looking for some quotes but most of them terrified me straight away but one company gave me reasonable quote. Firstly I was not sure about all this matter but as I found out in the end they managed to finish all project 30% - 50% cheaper then all other quotes given by all other tradesmans.

They calls R.G. Internal Decoration Ltd

Comment

I think getting an interior designer to redecorate your home is a great idea because they know what will work and what won't to get the most out of your space. Also, potential buyers will look at that and know they won't have to put any money into redecorating, thus saving them money.

Comment

Yes, I also agree with the fact that if you are planning to sell your home then by redecorating it can increase the value of your home.

Comment

My advice if your looking to sell would be to design the property with a neutral and minimal setting as this way any potential buyers can easily visualise how they see it.

Comment

You should renovate your home. If your home looks great of course it's easy to sell your home.

Comment

Actually this thing is really in now a days, interior designing is really a trend. People purchase the old properties and give them interior touch and sell them on great price.

Comment

Working...
                              X