Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding the most value

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding the most value

One of the best ways to add value to your property is to look at installing some Smart Home Technologies. There are numerous companies out there that are offering this. The one I've used is called "Your Smart Home". They offer a free home survey and they also have a webshop, for those wishing to DIY!

Re: Adding the most value

Hi, sorry I wouldn't agree. Adding self-indulgent technology adds almost no value to a property whatsoever.

Comment

With property prices continuing to rise, many homeowners are deciding to stay put rather than move. Location is the most important factor in deciding the value of your property.

Here are some ideas of improvements that can increase your property value.
      1. 1. Convert your loft.
      2. 2.Add an extension
      3. 3.Improve central heating
      Loss Adjusters

Comment

I would agree a loft conversion would add the most value.

As I have said in other posts, you shoudl only extend or improve if you would appreciate the benefit. It shoudl not be entirely about adding value or making money. The link has more.
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

I think a big factor to remember is the ceiling price of properties in that street/area. Loft conversions and extensions are all very well and good and will undoubtedly add value to the property, but if it takes the value of that property above the ceiling price, then you could be left with a very nice but unsellable house at the end of the day.

Comment

If you want to add real value to your home then as said in the above post check out your area, Are you going to gain in the long run is the area up and comming because if prices are rising in your area what is the point in doing anything,

Big winners are

loft conversions--if worthwhile take into account of the cost of works and your return on investement

Extentions- but only if done right- is the extension going to make a big change to the house without breaking the ceiling price.

If you have no driveway then a good way to go is to get permission from local gov to turn your font garden into someware to park your car.

Some times a well designed kitchen-bathroom can attract a small increase in value although its not always the case.

If you havent got one think about adding a en-suite.

sometimes you could just benefit from simply redecorating your house in and out is it appealing in its current state?

Things that are a waste of time

So called smart tech wont get you anything but they can be a sweatener for some, but no real value for you.it will cost more to have them installed.

If you have no centeral heating, well say for a 3 bed house, A boiler, all the rads, materials and labour is going to set you back around £2500 - £3500 will you get this back, i doubt it.

swimming pools, Just dont go there i know some one who had one built as part of a renovation project, well he lost a lot of money.

So in the end checkout your area what are the prices, can you acheive more and is it worthwhile.
            www.tradesmanschoice.co.uk

Comment

I agree with the above,

En-suites and downstairs WC's are a big 'box ticker' in my book. Once you have lived in a house with both or either of these features, you will not want to live without them.

Comment

If you have a family even both of these are not enough i am totaly out numberd 3-1, to even get close to a bathroom is no easy task with 3 women well, one woman two girls, and i have two bathrooms and ensuite they are always "engaged"

Comment

Ah bathrooms. We have two (one each!) and three WC's.

I agree with Kevin, it is better to have the worst house is a good area than the best house in a bad area.

No property is unsellable just that you wont get all your improvement expenses back when you come to sell.
                  BRAND NEW HOMES
                  Information for UK new home buyers
                  New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

Good point, Unsellable was probably not the right word to use. The point being you would have to reduce the price to a point where you, like you have said, will not see any return on outlay on major, costly improvments.

I almost sound like I know what I am talking about...almost.

Kevin

Comment

brings a whole new meaning to priced to sell

Comment

I agree smart home technologies are just an indulgence and maybe works for over paid luxury flats for certain sorts of high flying business men/women that want that easy move in straight away glamorous living, and will look good but overall to add value all depends on the area of course but to add value to any house as you can always get the location is to create more space i.e converting the loft also making sure that the kitchen is a focal point, makeing use of small rooms by knocking down walls to open up the area and also by making sure that the bathroom is of a suffcient size to complimetn and fit in with how many people will be living int he house..
                        We have debt solutions to help you get out of debt problems

Comment

I am not sure I completely agree with the ceiling price thing. I mean in most places then YES it definitely applies, but where we live in Brighton it definitely does not apply and here is why.. there are 2 universities here and a LOT of students and graduates, and by a lot I mean a ridiculous amount. Therefore generally it is a young town with a lot of shared houses because people cant afford to rent a 1 bed flat. This means there are a hell of a lot of buy to let landlords in this town. Its a haven for them. So even though you might price out families, you wont ever price out buy to let landlords because if they can turn those extra reception rooms into bedrooms and have 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or even 10 tenants, thats a worthwhile investment, even if its 200k above the ceiling price, it doesnt matter, if the house is fairly central, with multiple options for bedrooms then your golden. The fact is these types of houses just do not stay on the market in Brighton for more than a 2 or 3 months tops. Ceiling prices dont really exist here. Other cities I have heard have the same high property/high student count include guildford, oxford, cambridge, central london so you really cant go wrong there. The demand for housing far outweighs the number of places on the market. The key is to always have in the back of your mind "could i sell this to a landlord? would they need to do much work i.e putting up walls to create more bedrooms, how many bedrooms could they have? etc" The other option is when you move you can keep it as a rental investment for yourself if you can afford it.

Comment

I agree, traditional home improvements such as new double glazing, kitchen, bathroom etc will add value as these are long term investments and potential buyers will see this as one thing less to worry about in the future.

Comment

Working...
                            X