Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardwood doors or double glazed doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood doors or double glazed doors?

I need a back door that doesnt shrink or swell in the weather. I know a double glazed one wouldnt do that but does a hardwood door not shrink or swell and could it withstand scratches from dogs paws? or would I better off with double glazed. Hardwood might be cheaper?
    siding contractors richmond

Re: Hardwood doors or double glazed doors?

No if you go for a new multilayered timber back door there will be no swealing etc. as the grains are laid opposing each other therefore restricting sell and movement.

Comment

UPVC would be my choice for least maintenance, but then I don't have claws to worry about.
      I suspect hardwood wouyld be better as you can atleast repair any damage caused by canine or feline damage.

Comment

A good quality hardwood door wins hands down everytime, far more secure and easier to maintain in terms of painting and treating.

Comment

Hardwood door much more secure my option every time, and will withstand the claws better too.

Comment

Harder wood is better than any other, but it should be dry wood not wet, then it will be the right choice for this situation.

Comment

I have a UPVC door and cats and it seems to with stand the scratching at the door. Howver one thing about UPVC is the doors tend to drop in their hinges and this can be a real pain to sort out.

Comment

I have hardwood doors at the front and back of my house and I just don't think they're as well insulated as UPVC double glazed doors so I'd be tempted to tell you to go with double glazed doors.

Comment

Timber is wood in any of its stages from felling through readiness for use as structural material for construction, or wood pulp for paper production. Timber is supplied either rough or finished. Besides pulpwood, rough lumber is the raw material for furniture-making and other items requiring additional cutting and shaping. It is available in many species, usually hardwoods. Finished lumber is supplied in standard sizes, mostly for the construction industry, primarily softwood from coniferous species including pine, fir and spruce, cedar, and hemlock, but also some hardwood, for high-grade flooring.

Comment

Yes I would probably go for a uPVC door myself as much stronger in all weather, more secure and the imitation wood design are really good these days.

Comment

The low maintenance characteristics of UPVC double glazing also mean that you can save money in the long term, as your new windows will remain a stylish addition to your home for many years to come.

Comment

I think Double Glazed Windows and Doors sliding range is without a doubt more advanced than Hardwood doors.

Comment

nice informative thread

Comment

Hand made door will far more secure and easier to maintain in terms of painting and treating.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Great discussion about hardwood door, I also have some hardwood floor at my shop i want to sale them at cheaper price offer, If anyone interested then contact me here back,Wood doors are commonly used in these days which have different designs and qualities come first and get first...

Comment

Working...
                              X