Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows

What are the best windows? I have heard so much about these double paned windows and storm proof. What is the better value for the durability and which would be be for energy conservation?

We have the older windows in our house but I would love to have the ones that you can fold out to clean. We really need an update when it comes to our windows also. Hopefully in the next few years we can look into doing this. I personally like the double paned windows if they are the ones I am thinking of.

Comment

I would say Double paned. Now that Winter is setting in, our single glazing makes the flat freezing!

Cannot wait to get these replaced!

Comment

I'm just about to go for the double glazed windows. I'll let you know how I get on!

Comment

New double glazed windows are great choice. Safe and warm.
          http://www.bestmortgage-refinancing.us/

Comment

Triple glazed would be best,lol but a little OTT, uPVC double glazing is just the job (K GLASS)
            If you've got it, Property Flaunt it! - www.PropertyFlaunt.com

Comment

I've just got double glazing and loft insulation. Makes a huge difference to the house temperature. BUT I do get more condensation problems now, probably due to the sealed glass units

Comment

Yep double glazed I'd say. I'm looking for new ones myself and think I'll go for them, noise reduction and insulation

Comment

Re: Windows

Heating and cooling costs are on the rise, and if your windows are outdated, your hard-earned money could literally be going right out the window. If your old windows are drafty and outdated, consider replacement windows. You'll add to the value of your home while saving money on heating and cooling costs. In addition, replacement windows will add to the aesthetic appeal of your home.

There are many styles and types to consider, and they all have their own special attributes. There are advantages and disadvantages to every type of replacement window. Consider the style of your home as well as the versatility and durability of replacement windows. Replacement windows are a major investment in your home, so take the time to consider all possibilities. Carefully ponder the many options before making a final decision.

Clad
                  Clad windows offer the durability and beauty of wood inside the home, and the quality and resilience of weatherproof aluminum or vinyl on the outside. They are a wonderful choice for those who want the rich look of wood on the interior and exceptional strength and durability on the exterior. Clad windows are the most expensive replacement alternative, but they provide the best of both options.

Vinyl clad wood replacement windows are virtually maintenance free, and they are available in a wide variety of colors and styles. Their insulating properties are excellent, and therefore a better choice for more drastic climates. Exterior scratches are less likely to show since color runs throughout the vinyl, and they will continue to look new and last for a number of years.

Aluminum clad wood replacement windows are also a great option, especially in milder climates. Insulating factors aren't as great, but aluminum clad replacement windows are by far stronger than the vinyl clad variety. On the downside, they are more likely to become scratched, but they can be painted if necessary.

Wood
                  Wood replacement windows offer classic beauty and style, and they provide natural insulation. Although they look great when new, wood windows require protection from the elements, and they are one of the most expensive options. Wood replacement windows are popular, but if inadequately protected they will eventually rot, split, or warp, and they are subject to sticking during bouts of humidity.

Aluminum
                  Aluminum replacement windows aren't subject to splitting, warping, or shrinking, and they are exceptionally durable. They're lightweight for those who might have trouble raising heavier windows, and they'll provide many years of problem-free use. On the downside, aluminum windows improperly insulated are subject to condensation. They're a great choice if you don't live in coastal areas where salt in the air will quickly deteriorate the finish.

Steel
                  If you have unlimited resources, steel is by far one of the best options for replacement windows. They're usually installed commercially, and they are much more durable and weather resistant than any other material. Steel replacement windows will more than likely outlast any other type you could choose.

Fiberglas
                  Fiberglas replacement widows are one of the newest varieties on the market. Because they are a relatively new product, the choices of styles, sizes, and colors aren't as extensive as other varieties, but their overall quality and durability exceeds clad wood, vinyl, aluminum, and solid wood replacement windows. They are also the superior choice when considering very large windows since they are capable of supporting larger panes of glass. Additionally, Fiberglas can be painted, and it won't warp, crack, peel, or split. It's clearly one of the best options, if you're willing to pay upwards of double the cost of ordinary vinyl windows.

Vinyl
                  Unlike wood clad vinyl windows, regular vinyl windows are hollow inside, but they are still strong. Although they are dent resistant and sturdy, they can become distorted in areas of extreme cold or excessive heat. All things considered, vinyl windows are still a good choice since they are very affordable, and they provide good insulation for many years to come.

Comment

Definitely double glazed!!!

Comment

I can say form my own experience that the best windows are the windows made of wood! Not long time ago we changed our old windows to wooden windows. And we are very glad with its quality and design

Comment

For me it's a no brainer too, double glazing all the way. Used to live in a terraced house with single glazing and it was just awful in the winter. It was a student house that we went up to on Sunday night for the week, and being students and a bit lazy we didn't always light the fire, such cheapskates!
                        Northern Ireland Property

Comment

yes i would go for double glazed and you can pay monthly with major window companies which helps aswell.

Comment

We are having new windows and going for A rated - double glazed or better is a must I think !

Comment

Try double glazed windows. It's really great in making the temperature warm and nice.. Goodluck!

Comment

Working...
                              X