Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bedding Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedding Advice

I just placed an order for a new bed at my local Furniture Village store but they had no bedding and couldn't give me much advice about what would be best. We are moving into our new house in three weeks time and need to get king size sheets, duvet, pillows, covers etc. for this new bed.

There is a massive price difference between the Poly Cotton and Egyptian Cotton and I can't seem to work out what the difference is, is one just from Egypt or what?

Anyone brought bed linen online and know of a good place with a decent range? We looked in a couple of shops but think there will be more choice online.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Re: Bedding Advice

Innerspring mattresses are the most popular kind of bedding among consumers, and there's a model and style for nearly every taste and budget, from basic, unadorned beds to fancy pillow-top mattresses with hand-stitched embroidery. While you can find off-brand, no frills innerspring mattresses starting at about $300, experts say you should expect to pay about $800 for a good quality queen-size bed. Simmons, Sealy and Serta rule the mattress market along with Spring Air, Duxiana and Stearns & Foster, and there are dozens of other brands out there. To further confuse matters, many innerspring models are exclusive to certain retailers, and a seemingly identical mattress may have very different internal components. Because of this, experts say they only way to choose the best mattress for you is to try them out at a store. Be aware, however, that while pillow-top innerspring mattresses often feel better initially, owners posting reviews to retailer websites often report that the pillow top goes flat long before the mattress itself wears out, so a pillow top may not eliminate the need for a mattress topper if you prefer an extra-cushiony top layer.

Comment

Originally posted by edwud View Post
      I just placed an order for a new bed at my local Furniture Village store but they had no bedding and couldn't give me much advice about what would be best. We are moving into our new house in three weeks time and need to get king size sheets, duvet, pillows, covers etc. for this new bed.

There is a massive price difference between the Poly Cotton and Egyptian Cotton and I can't seem to work out what the difference is, is one just from Egypt or what?

Anyone brought bed linen online and know of a good place with a decent range? We looked in a couple of shops but think there will be more choice online.

I guess you have already got this sorted, but for anyone else reading this - with bedding you usually get what you pay for! Cheap sheets (polycotton) are fine but will not last as long or look as good for as long as cotton or tightly woven percale. My advice would be buy the best you can afford, because they will last for many many years.

Comment

I am completely agree with Susan as, it is very important for us to get all the good quality bedding things so that, they will stay as it is for a long time. I will suggest here, that buying cheap set of bedsheets is not a problem but, if you are getting good brand in low cost or in cheap price then, only you are worth it.

Comment

My wife just loves buying bed linen, duvet covers and the like, she if forever buying them! I'm glad she doesn't have expensive taste in them though as I would be out a fortune.
          Northern Ireland Property

Comment

Provided there are no allergies that you have to consider, the following is more expensive, but made of natural fibres, so warm in winter,cool in summer and you wont sweat and it will last longer. Goose or duck down pilllows and duvets, and go for the stronger better quality egyptian sheets. Expensive it may be but we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed,so should be comfortable at least.
            Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

Egyptian cotton is well worth the price difference in my opinion - it is a lot more comfortable.
              Bad credit mortgages

Comment

Stay away from poly cotton, it feels uncomfortable, is not cosy to sleep in, and is generally cold.
                Linen is a very pretentious fabric because will often look all crinkled and you will have to iron it, however it is quite nice to sleep in. I think linen is way over hipped!
                You don’t have to buy Egyptian cotton in particular. I find organic unbleached cotton is far better then normal cotton or the Egyptian type. Again I don’t get the frenzy about Egyptian cotton as it really is at the end of the day normal cotton from Egypt!
                Another great fabric is bamboo, it can even be shinny naturally and have silk like qualities, really rare to find.
                Or you could just buy silk ones.

Comment

Originally posted by crystal_10 View Post
                  Innerspring mattresses are the most popular kind of bedding among consumers, and there's a model and style for nearly every taste and budget, from basic, unadorned beds to fancy pillow-top mattresses with hand-stitched embroidery. While you can find off-brand, no frills innerspring mattresses starting at about $300, experts say you should expect to pay about $800 for a good quality queen-size bed. Simmons, Sealy and Serta rule the mattress market along with Spring Air, Duxiana and Stearns & Foster, and there are dozens of other brands out there. To further confuse matters, many innerspring models are exclusive to certain retailers, and a seemingly identical mattress may have very different internal components. Because of this, experts say they only way to choose the best mattress for you is to try them out at a store. Be aware, however, that while pillow-top innerspring mattresses often feel better initially, owners posting reviews to retailer websites often report that the pillow top goes flat long before the mattress itself wears out, so a pillow top may not eliminate the need for a mattress topper if you prefer an extra-cushiony top layer.
                  This looks like an advert. But worst of all they haven't even realiosed that this is a UK forum, and they have put the prices in $.
                  http://www.mattressadvice.co.uk

Comment

Pollycotton is a mixture of polyester and cotton, and is a cheaper alternative. Egyptian cotton is just cotton from Egypt (which is supposed to be the best). The higher the thread count the better.

Comment

I'd stay away from polycotton as I've found it wears out fast and feels uncomfortable next to the skin, as reported above. We recently bought a really excellent duvet cover from FouFurnishings. They send out free samples so that you can judge for yourself if the quality is worth paying for!

Or have a look at King of Cotton.
                      Last edited by hometruths; 30-03-2011, 11:56 PM. Reason: typing error

Comment

Polycotton should be harder wearing than pure cotton, unless it is a cheap and nasty polycotton. However you are right about comfort.

Dunelm Mills do some natural cotton sheets at very good prices. They aren't the highest thread count, but for the price they are good value.

Comment

Originally posted by edwud View Post

We replaced all our sheets 2 years ago after renovating the property.
                          Our choice was Helena Springfield 50%cotton 50% polyester.
                          We got ours from House of Fraser but it is available widely.
                          This mixture is easy to look after and does not crease as badly as some others.

Comment

The Duvet and Pillow Warehouse is worth trying. I don't think I can post links on here yet, but their site is DAPW.co.uk

Comment

OK - I know the question has been answered already, but for those others viewing the answers - my personal preference is pure cotton - the higher quality the better. Let's face it, you spend a lot of time in bed so it's worth getting the best you can.

One thing not mentioned already - make sure you get the right size for your mattress, or even 1 size up. I hate it when the sheets come untucked! The same things goes for duvets, if you have a partner that steals the duvet - buy one size bigger (i.e. if you have a king size mattress, get a super-king duvet). But bear in mind - you'll have to change the duvet as well as the duvet cover! Still - it's worth it for a good nights sleep.
                              Adam from www.alltogduvets.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X