Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoneline Activation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoneline Activation

Hi

I have just purchased a property. No-one has lived there for 6 months, so the phoneline has been de-activated. BT say they well re-activate it- but i need to sign up to a 12 month contract.

I do not yet know what internet provider i wish to go with - so i do not want to rush in and get it activated. Can any ISP get this re-activated for me?

Also- is it possible for ISPs to tell me about the potential speed i can get if my phone line is not currently active?

Thanks

Speak to the various internet providers. Some providers don't require you to have a BT line (virgin). Also, it used to be the case that to have broadband, you had to have a phone line as well. Some providers are also relaxing that rule.
    Community spirited? http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com

Comment

thanks for response. who apart from virgin dont require a phone line then? surely that how it works..! (i appreciate thats not how virgin works - but i am unable to receive virgin at my property)

thanks

Comment

Any ISP that uses cable technically don't need a phone line. It is done by fibre optic to the box in the street, then cable to your house.

Many other ISPs do require a phone line as the medium, but some may not actually require the line to be enabled. (I don't know how that would work)

Are there any cable providers (not just Virgin) in your area?

Comment

ummm, well i do not know of any other cable providers other than virgin! who else does cable?

Comment

telewest, but they may have been taken over now.

Comment

thanks - i will check them out

Comment

just looked them up - they have been taken over by.......... virgin media! DOH

Comment

BT like to push on full year contracts, but you can always look at other ISPs such as Zen.co.uk - very good service, and don't lock you into long contracts.

Comment

You should see what ISPs are available in your area, if you type 'samknows' into Google you should get a web site which has an availabilty checker under 'Wholesale Availabilty' on the navigation bar. It also has information about the various providers.

Comment

Working...
                    X