Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Mowing Lawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Mowing Lawn

I have a neighbor that is trying to sell his house. They had an open house the other day. The problem is that their neighbors yard is terrible. They have garbage on their front porch where you can see it. I am talking bags of it. They have two old cars that don't run one has all four tires flat. During the open house you would not believe the people that commented on their neighbors house and what an eyesore it was. This is the only house in the neighborhood that is like this. I just feel bad for him because it is turning away prospective buyers. What do you do in a situation like this? Any suggestions? Thanks

Most towns have ordinances about just this and it would pay your neighbor to check with his town hall and find out what can be done. Some places are stricter than others but not many have no laws about this. There are fines.

Comment

Thank you, I will be mentioning this to him because it is absoulutly rediculous if you ask me.

Comment

Definitely something to put off potential buyers!

Comment

Worse case ...if you're desperate to sell ...is to offer to mow their lawn for them. I've seen people do that just to get through the showing process.

Comment

Where I live, there's an ordinance about mowing your lawn every so often (not sure exact time table). If you're in the city limits and do NOT take care of your lawn, the city will pay for having the lawn mowed, and then charge you for it. If the bill's not paid, they can escalate beyond that point.

I guess if your city doesn't have that policy, then doing it yourself is the next best option.

Comment

The problem is not just the lawn though. It is really the overall garbage and just stuff lying all over the place. He is going to check with the city and see if there are any ordinaces. I mentioned this to him just yesterday so hopefully something can be done.

Comment

How did things turn out, tater? Was your neighbor able to get anything done about the house with the trash?

Junk in a yard definitely makes a different problem than just an unkempt lawn. That would be a tough one. I don't know what they'd do about that where I live.

Comment

I just looked at a little rental house for a friend of mine, and while the cottage had been redone and was nice enough (albeit tiny), the owners didn't bother to take a rusted wreck of a VW bus out of the woods next to the house and left up a rusty abvoe ground swimming pool frame. A definite turn off!!!! Yeck.

Comment

Well he did go to city hall and they came out. I guess something happened because they are now cleaning up the yard. Why you would have to have that happen before you clean up your yard is really beyond me.

Comment

Some people are just lazy or don't care at all. They are the same ones who park their cars on their front lawns, work on them, and leave the oil change stains.

Comment

Gosh, I'm not sure there's much you can do about making them clean up their property. Check out the town ordinances, and if there are none, talk to local law enforcement, or a lawyer and see what they say you can do. Or you could just talk to the neighbor and let them know your concerns. Who knows what kind of result that would get.

Comment

Okay, are we neighbors? LOL There is a house across the road that is pretty much the same way. 2 junky cars, yard not mowed, trash everywhere, etc... We have a city ordinance on this kind of thing and even though I have called TWICE, they haven't done anything about it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by vicki2 View Post
                            Worse case ...if you're desperate to sell ...is to offer to mow their lawn for them. I've seen people do that just to get through the showing process.
                            I did that to next doors lawn (cheekily without them knowing) as I was looking to sell in the Summer and they were very grateful. Check first though is my advice...

Comment

Working...
                            X