Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wood or pvc windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wood or pvc windows

I will also suggest you to go with PVC windows for more durability.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff956 View Post
      I live in an old farmhouse and need to replace the windows. Everyone goes for pvc these days but I intended to have mine made of timber, because I prefer the traditional approach.
      The only thing that's put me off is that on one website they were saying that double glazed wooden windows start to deteriorate after 6 /8 years.
      However, not a word was said about the downsides of pvc - e.g. 20/25 life, becoming brittle following exposure to sun, almost impossible to repair, not practical to recycle etc.etc.
      Does anyone have personal experience of wooden double glazed windows which would help me make a decision.

Many thanks in advance.

When I lived abroad, it was quite common for flats in cities in Eastern Europe to have wooden double glazed windows - They looked lovely, but they looked fragile ( But they were there for a long time! ).

Comment

I also agree with the above posters that PVC is the best option to use because of its long durability.
        Man And Van Sherborne | Johnson's of Shaftesbury

Comment

According to me for long durablity choose the pvc windows.
          Affordable Office Furniture

Comment

I will suggest you pvc window .I am also using it.

Comment

Now a days PVC is using very one, But I not know what is the extra benefits?
              Property To Rent

Comment

Hi, Sounds a wonderful house! - As an estate agent if you are ever to sell the property give some thought to resale. has your property better kerb appeal with timber frames or upvc? I would also say as with a lot of things you get for what you pay. cheap upvc will not out last good quality hard timber. Personal preference i would go with timber if my budget went to it but just remember to stay on top of looking after them every few years!
                Jacks and Jones Estate Agents
                http://www.jacksandjones.co.uk

Comment

Yeah it what you like best. I think the PVC lasts longer

Ged
                  http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

I would deffinitly go for timber windows. They look better, feel much warmer when its cold, and first of all it is wood - neighbour will be soo jealous
                    Plastic isn't fantastic.
                    But it is my opinion.

Regards,
                    Michael
                    Timber windows and doors manufacturer.

[email protected]
                    http://www.eurostyl.net.pl/en.html

Comment

Interesting to see the mixed views. I'd personally got for PVC as they're more durable but if you prefer wood just go for it.
                      Andy
                      Sloane & Sons

Comment

I choose wood, because It natural and worm.

Comment

I have wooden windows that are 14 years old and let me tell you uPVC is the way to go. I've installed both types at the same time and the uPVC ones haven't changed a bit while the wooden ones look terrible.
                          Colin's Doors and Sash Windows

Comment

I will also suggest you go with PVC windows and also aluminium Windows. Both aluminium and uPVC windows are considered contemporary, durable and affordable window solutions for a home. I have installed both types windows in my home and recently I replaced a damaged window with new aluminium windows with integral blinds by Prime Integral Blinds. This gives excellent weather resistance quality and it saves money and time with the cleaning and now it giving our home a fresh new looks.

Comment

Working...
                            X