Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wood or pvc windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wood or pvc windows

hi guys. I just bought a flat, will have to replace windows in next months. Just starting looking on web for some supplier, having no idea what is good quality, what not. any recommended brand?

Comment

I've fitted and lived with both wooden and plastic windows.

Relative to the look/design of the property I'd go for wood every time.

It may be higher maintenance but plastic windows/doors in a traditional property look #!#!. and certainly devalue the house.

If wood is properly maintained it can last several lifetimes.

You're living there, so go with your gut feeling. By the way have you seen any plastic in your favorite colour ????

James

Comment

Timber windows are becoming an ever preferred choice for replacement windows when undertaking restoration projects. The aesthetic properties of timber windows are unequaled by pvc windows. Due to their normal appearance and the materials used, planning committees like timber windows to be started in places of architectural interest. Together with plenty of other heritage styles, the conventional sash sliding timber window is still made today. One of the advantages of timber windows are they can be totally customized letting them mix in with old products. This makes them the ideal choice for both extensions and replacement windows. Locking mechanisms, fasteners, handles and restrictors can all be supplied to match the type of window. They're a solid investment choice because they will be able to be much more simply fixed than pvc, and as a consequence will have a much longer life - presuming they're looked after in an appropriate way. Timber is a classic example of tolerable and reusable materiel requiring terribly low energy usage to process, and is thermally efficient in use.

Comment

Benefits of uPVC:
          Cost effective (Only needs to be replaced if broken)
          Low maintenance (Never rots, flakes, rusts or fades)
          Security (uPVC offers almost the same protection as aluminium due to its robust frame)
          Aesthetics (Recently companies have started styling this unattractive white plastic to improve its aesthetics as well as offering different coloured versions)

Benefits of Wooden Frames:
          Aesthetics (Wooden frames can be tailored to customer specifics and will always look a fine quality)
          Environment (Wood as I'm sure you know is a renewable source whereas other windows use a lot of fossil fuels during production)

The type of frame you choose is completely up to you. If you're going for a quality look and a warm feel go for the wooden frames but yes they do need maintenance such as repainting every 5 years. If you're going for a secure low maintenance frame I suggest the uPVC frames due to their little or no maintenance and robust frames. I hope this information helps!

Comment

Go with what your heart says, go for the wooden windows. It is traditional but it is also much durable too.

Comment

Hello there everyone, I've just actually registered onto this forum today. I started working for a company who I did a lot of research on before starting and actually.. from my research we genuinely have better priced products than any other company in the UK. So we'd be happy to provide a free quote for anyone, I know Emma you mentioned you were looking for windows.

In regards to the original message, our windows have 30 years warranty, so that should put your mind at ease somewhat. At the end of the day, you have nothing to lose by sending over plans and getting a quote.

Message me if you want more information, the link to our website is in my profile. Cheers everyone.

Comment

Wood windows can last long period of time if you take good care of it. Wood windows are applied with paint and water resistant substance, but the substance deteriorate when it is wet by rain. To prolong the life of your wood windows, I suggest that you apply water resistant substance and paint after some years or when you see that the paint is fading.

Comment

All I would say is, if you go for the wood option, make sure you keep up proper maintenance. We have had wood windows for 15 years, and re-varnishing every few years has not stopped them from rotting! Don't make the same mistake! You'll have to really keep on top of them and repair them as soon as you notice anything deterioting, to save yourself a larger job. One stitch in time saves nine!

Comment

Wood for presentation, UPVC for durability.

Comment

Like the most have mentioned before PVC for durability, obviously.
                      Downsides are these that you mentioned, they aren't prepared (not hard). Living in a farmhouse there is a chance that the glass might break - you have the change the whole thing from the hinges.
                      If you are a practical man going with wooden windows can be the right decision, because they are easier to repair, lute and etc.
                      Looking for domestic removals in London ? Look us up at Flat 5, 63 W Smithfield or call 020 8099 2463.

Comment

PVC is durable, especially these days. You can get different coloured ones now, they don't have to be white. Also you can have leaded glass if you want to achieve a traditional look.

Timber windows are OK, but you will need to maintain them regularly.
                        A price comparison site for building materials, tools and DIY http://www.buyersassistant.co.uk

Comment

My vote goes for wood, I think it will look good and adds much more beauty to the overall look of the house.

Comment

I prefer PVC windows, its cost effective thermal insulation, long life and easy maintenance.

Comment

I would definitely be buying PVC windows, not enough people really appreciate how durable they actually are!

Comment

If you want my opinion, I know its a farmhouse and traditional timber windows would keep within the style however I wouls day PVC simply because they will last longer and will retain more internal heat (also you can get them in timber style these days).

Comment

Working...
                                X